Really needing advice

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi, my names Jess and I am 20 years old, when I was 19 I had my gallbladder removed and since then have suffered with abdominal pain which in September was confirmed to me to be IBS. I suffer badly with abdominal pain and constipation. I get really bad wind and bloating. I am struggling to find triggers other than lack of sleep or stress. I do find the ibs makes me extremely tired most of the time. I have tried buscopan, ppi's and peppermint oil tablets but none seem to work for me. I am now taking pro biotics daily but still have pain, I don't find that I get the pain more after food so I'm finding it hard to figure out what to eat and what not to. Being in so much pain has caused me to have a lot of time off work and now I'm scared it could cause me to loose my job, I really need help to control this and to start feeling better, I am desperate at this point.

Thanks

Jess

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi Jess - I was prescribed mezavant (an intestinal anti inflammatory) for my ibs. It helped me greatly over the long term. For a while, I also too cipralex which made me tired but helped in general.

I did have some signs of inflammation in the intestines when I was prescribed these meds, but no inflammation 3 years later!

Have you had a colonoscopy?

• Posted

That's good! The colonoscopy is no big deal. The prep is a little rough, but not to bad! I have had 3 colonoscopies and have always used pico salax orange flavour, and it did the job but I wasn't on the toilet all night. The procedure itself is very easy, it is done before you know it

• Posted

Jess,

Stress can be a huge factor with ibs. There are a number of things you can do to help this. I crochet as it's repetitive, meditative and relaxing. You can also try knitting, ti-chi, yoga, mindfulness.

Also look up the symptoms for chronic fatigue syndrome and fibromyalgia. Ibs can be a symptom of these.

I also reduce the amount of dairy and increase your less complex fibres. You need the fibre to keep you regular but the more complex the fibre the more it can aggravate your stomach. I use a centrifugal juicer as this takes out the complex fibres.

Hope this helps.

Sue

• Posted

JESSICA

Talk to your GP especially if you have not talked to him since September. Your GP will explain what to eat etc, you could visit NHS CHOICES and you should be able to pick up ways to control your problem

I had my Gallbladder removed about eight years ago so I will be asking my GP if He knows if its removal causes Ibs

BOB

• Posted

Thank you, I have been back and forth to the gp every couple of weeks they have got to a point where they said there is no other medication they can try me on and I go to a dietitian for the eating but they have told me a lot of what I can't eat but it doesn't really leave much that I can eat, I went back to the gp today and I'm getting more tests done so fingers crossed, I was told that having my gallbladder removed could cause ibs before the surgery but never imagined it would leave me in this much pain

• Posted

Yes it can be painful, I cannot understand if the Ibs has been caused by Gallbladder removal. I my case I take very strong medications for my Chronic Disability and in my case me tummy lining could be sensitised and inflamed. In my case herbs and spices seem to cause some problems so I need to be careful what I eat.

I eat a great deal of fruit and vegetables so that may be a problem that causes IBS

BOB

• Posted

If you have IBS, a colonoscopy will show nothing because IBS is a functional problem of the colon.  Try the Fodmap diet and ask for a different anti spasmodic.
  • Posted

Pippa's comment is true, but you'll need a colonoscopy to see if there is any inflammation. If there is inflammation or signs of colitis/chron's, treatment will be different. But yes, if there is no inflammation, the FODMAP diet is a great way to go for ibs!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.