Confused and worried

Posted , 12 users are following.

Hello,

I was just told last Friday that I needed to get some follow-up testing due to my iron and I haven't heard back from my doctor yet. I'm concerned and worried because when I went online and I checked my ferritin levels it said  I was close to 4500 and I have a 66% saturation level.  I don't know if hemachromatosis is what I have but with all the research that I have done this leads me to believe this is what I have and I don't know how bad these levels are and how concerned I should be.  Can anybody please shed some light on this?  I know these levels are high but I don't know how high they are considered I'm hoping to hear back from my doctor tomorrow from the follow up blood testing but anything anybody can tell me will help.

1 like, 39 replies

39 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Blckiris, sticking my neck out here, but yes, a ferritin level of 4500 is terribly high.  Your transferrin saturation level of 66% also indicates you probably have hemochromatosis.

Now depending on how bad you are feeling, e.g. your symptoms, indicates how it is affecting you.  Have you had a liver function test?  thyroid test? diabetes, hormones, etc.?  If these are fine, then it is just down to needing a lot of venesections before it does any damage.

Your age, gender, how long you have been harbouring this ferritin, have you had symptoms that have been ignored for a long time?  These all come into it.

It is almost tomorrow, so hang in there, sleep well and good luck.

• Posted

I am 38 and a female I don't have diabetes or thyroid issues my liver functions have been high for several years but my regular doctor has attributed that to me being overweight so she hasn't really looked into it. I asked for her to do additional tests and refer me just to make sure  everything was OK so she referred me to a gastroenterologist. They are the ones that did the testing to see that my iron was as high as it was so I'm kinda up in the air. In my research I found that it's not normal for women that have not went through meta-pies or had hysterectomies to have this.   My symptoms are I have been feeling very tired and weak for 6 to 8 months maybe even closer to a year now and I've started having issues with my heart racing and feeling like I'm gonna pass out that recently started a few weeks ago and I don't know if it means anything but the last few days there so my hands has started to go numb like they're falling asleep and they just kind of stay that way.  I'm a single mom with three kids and really trying not to freak myself out about this

• Posted

No doubt you have a fatty liver.  Hemochromatosis causes a fatty liver, and conversely, a fatty liver causes high ferritin.

A fatty liver is also caused by consuming sugars and starches (potatoes, corn, bread, pasta, rice, cakes, etc, oh, and alcohol!) because these days we do not use up all that energy doing hard physical work, so it converts to fat.  You can help yourself to reduce the ferritin raised by the fatty liver by eliminating all sugars and starches.  All veges grown underground are high in sugars and starches too.  Check the website and eliminate foods with a carbohydrate level greater than 9gs per 100 gs serve.  Always have a serving of protein with each meal (including breakfast) and snacks, healthy oils (e.g. olive), and lots of green veges, and cauliflower.  There is plenty to eat.  You don't have to starve.  Really stick to it and you will find your waist again, plus your ferritin reducing quickly.  Check out paleo recipes for ideas.  Cauliflower mash is delicious.

You will also probably have to have venesections to help reduce your ferritin levels, most probably weekly to begin with.  Some people have two a week.  It will seem like an ordeal for a while, especially having to corale 3 children at the same time.  I hope you have someone who can help out with them.  I did not have any adverse problems having venesections.  I was so glad to get the toxic stuff out of me.  It just uses up a lot of time.  But just remember, it is better than having to have chemo.

Gradually, you should notice you are feeling better with those symptoms reducing or going away.  You will get better, and haemochromatosis is better to have than a lot of other things.  If you have only had these symptoms for 6 to 8 months to a year, you are so much better off.  I had them for 9 years without diagnosis, before my hips broke up - then I was diagnosed.  So I ended up with long term major problems.  But you should have a better outcome.  Just get in an clean up that fatty liver and you will be a new person.

Keep us informed about how you go.

• Posted

Thank you this gives me hope that I will be OK. I know it's just a guess but that at least gives me a little bit of peace of mind until I can get some more information from the doctors when they get the results back. The toughest part for me will be the carbs as I am a horrible carb addict though I try to raise asked now I have a very very good reason to be good

• Posted

I started at 4,000.   As Sheryl said, this is frighteningly high, as it put me in the hospital and that's how I was diagnosed.  Leading up to that, I had odd things going on, too low platelets, my liver function tests sometimes went up, but would normalize.  My blood pressure would rise as well as my glucose, but would normalize later, for a while.  I am not overweight and was exercising and dieting religiously to try and control these things.  Ironically, I was eating a lot of spinach and lentils to be healthier (as you learn more, you will find out why this was not in my best interest).  In the hosptital, I wasn't even bothered by my heart (I thought I had appendicitis) and they ER phsycians were shocked by how distressed my heart was and discussed putting me in cardiac ICU.  

You need to be treating as soon as humanly possible.  You also need to be on beta blockers today if you aren't already.  Today. You have nothing more important to do than get to a doctor right now, as I don't want to cause a panic, but you are in a very dangerous zone. 

• Posted

They have officially now diagnosed me with it but have not started drying blood yet until I can get into see the gastroenterologist which is next week. I'm not sure that I am very thrilled with the doctor though I have not met him yet, he is not starting me on the blood draw even know that's a given that we have to do

• Posted

I'm torn because I don't know if I'm overreacting to the doctor not being aggressive enough and moving forward with this or  if I'm right to be concerned. I don't know if I need to be taking more of an active approach and my health or I am just  freaking myself out and the last couple weeks and the next week or so it's no big deal to wait.

• Posted

I was made to see the GI first as he followed my case for the most part. I think it was 3 or 4 weeks before I started, but if you feel like you're being delayed, definitely push the issue.

• Edited

Hi, i was diagnosed with hemochromotosis over a year ago, had no idea of what it was. Im 56 years old and average to athletic build. My ferritin was 2400, baseline is about 400, in other words anything above that is pathological. My saturation was 50%, diagnosis was triggered by elevated liver enzymes. Testing was done and it came back positive for hemochromotosis genetic mutation. So.... having phlebotomies one unit of blood each week for 11 months straight and now my ferritin is sitting around 60 and saturation is about 4%. I'm feeling great, the only thing i did different during my treatment was that ingested a drink comprised of 1 bunch of organic raw cilantro and 2 organic fresh lemons juice which i blended up wth 1litre of water and poured into icecube trays. 1 daily, this leaches out heavy metals from your body. The nursing staff and Doctors were surprised at my rate of success. The symptoms i was having from this were not very noticeable, i had achey shoulder joints and achey feet. Fatigue and loss of stamina. I didnt realize the wonderful difference this treatment has had for me. This condition dubbed the Viking curse is accurate as i have recently found that genetic testing on relatives from my fathers side are all Norwegian.... that was a surprise. Ask me anything if you have concerns.

• Posted

Hi steveteebo

I am curious as to what HFE genes you had.  50% TS is not very high to have a ferritin level of 2400.  I am also interested in what lead you to cilantro and lemon juice and how many icecubes do you have per day?

My homozygous C282Y seems to have come from Danish and Swedish ancestors, and the Scottish side was probably mixed with the Norwegians who visited Scotland.  The source of haemochromatosis is still a mystery.  So far the earliest dna (H63D) for it has been found in the teeth of a Neolithic woman from 5000 years ago, whose recent ancestors were from Sardinia and the middle east, nearly 3000 years before the Vikings starting invading the west.  That does not mean that those people who headed north from the Pontic Steppes did not develop it separately, or even, already had it.

• Edited

Hi, im also c282y, and the cilantro and lemon was a suggestion from a classmate at the school of Traditional Chinese Medicine where i am just finishing my 4th and last year of the TCM doctor and acupuncture program, and it was only one ice cube per day, just add a little boiling water.
    • Posted

Thank you.  Are you able to explain what is in cilantro and lemon juice that leaches out heavy metals?
    • Posted

I decided not to try cilantro. I was excited about curcumin as a chelation agent until I found a medical study on mice that showed that while ferritin levels decreased, iron wasn't in the urine or feces. The mice had a much higher rate of liver tumors. The iron was simply pushed into organs. No studies on the presence of iron in urine or feces to show it is leaving the body. A very risky thing to try.

• Posted

Last conference I went to, Prof John Crowe of University College of Dublin, announced there was no truth in curcumin working as a chelation agent.  Some writings swear that curcumin works as an antiflammatory for joints, but consuming it as a spice in food causes yellowing of teeth which I would rather not have either.

I have not ever come across cilantro as a chelation agent, so curious about it.  I have read that someone swears by roasted eggplant skins too.

So far, I will just stick to tea, coffee, a small red wine, and calcium foods to (supposedly) help reduce the uptake of iron.  And avoiding sugars and starches as much as possible.

• Posted

I would look for clinical studies. Wheatgrass has clinical studies and I used it with inconclusive results. It may be like calcium and bind with iron that isn't digested and block it, but I don't think it causes chelation.

• Posted

Walnuts are also very high in tannins (impairs uptake of iron).  100gs have up to 1400mg tannin equivalents (polyphenols, etc).  But there is a warning for people with liver damage, apparently too much tannin is not good for them.

• Posted

Good Day,

I would like to clarify that the organic cilantro and lemon was only something i did as an aside and i confess i do not understand the science behind that it seemed like a pretty benign thing to do and even if only helped a little, no harm done. My main therapy was weekly phlebotamies ( 500ml ) every week for approximately 12 months, i only know that that worked very well, and yes thats correct 2 litres a month.

And yes i felt a significant amount of fatigue for a day but usually after that first day i felt significantly better and noticed my symptoms disappear

over time.

• Posted

It may have been based on cilantro and other herbs have oxalates in them which help impair the absorption of non-heme iron.  But, it is so minimal, and there are a lot of other vegetables which have much more, including spinach and kale.

Pity, I love the taste of cilantro and wouldn't mind a cilantro tea or iced drink.

And, we are often told a small dose of lemon juice or apple cider vinegar before meals is good for our digestion, and perhaps liver.

• Posted

Steve, Im going to try cilantro and lemons etc. coz I miss my lemon water so much since I stopped after getting diagnosed GH. the only thing i wondered about was the fact that Vit C aids absorbtion of iron, so when is best to take it??
    • Posted

Good Day, there are no specific times that you need to take it, i always took it prepared the way i specified and in the early morning on an empty stomach. You could take it at night, but some sensitive peolpe may think there sleep might be impaired. I hope this helps.

Steve 

• Posted

were you consuming the entire tray, or just a few cubes a day?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.