Hard work but worth it.

Posted , 6 users are following.

I've been on 150mg of amitriptyline for four or five months and I'm beginning to see light at the end of the tunnel. For the first time in years, my depression is getting better. It took ages to get over the side effects such as tiredness and I can almost function properly now. It is worth persevering. Amitriptyline does seem to work and was more effective than all the anti depressants I had been taking previously.

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

• Posted

Glad there are helping. But becare full when you decide to come off them .
  • Posted

Hi Davie

So glad Ami is working for you. Some peole find the side effects difficult to deal with. I was only on 10mg split 1/2 am/pm and still had body shakiness and numbness in fingers. I have just recently stopped taking it but had to wean down over 3 weeks so I would not get withdrawal symptoms.

You must have tried a few AD'd before doctor prescribed Ami. It would seem that only trying different kinds over a period of time till someone finds the right one that works for them and in the meantime have to suffer hell.

All the best and glad to hear you got your life back on track!

• Posted

Hi Davie

Yes I managed and feel no worse now than I did before. I was taking it for anxiety.

I used a pill cutter which only cost a couple of £s from chemist shop. I cut the small pill into 4 then each week over 3 weeks reduced daily by 1/4.

No withdrawal symptoms at all. I know this sounds a bit over the top but last year doc gave me fluoxitine. I took it for 9 days and was suicidal. Doc says stop taking it which I did then had the most awful withdrawal symptoms. Never again!

I am feeling so much better now and not on any med. Practice meditation, listen to relaxing music, eat healthy (most of the time) lol, and exercise.

If you ever stop the Ami, please do it slowly and you will be fine.

Best of luck Evelyn

• Posted

Thanks for reply. I'm of the ami since December but suffering from burning head pain. I'm trying to resist going back on them.

• Posted

You did it correctly, like I did, slowly and it works.  I had no side effects at all either, and I'm down from 120 to 30 and going well, very well.

• Posted

I take this medication for nurological pain at 75mg daily and it seems to work well for my nerve damage.

The medication is of the old stock of AD Medications, I take Citalopram 20mg with it and I feel quiet numb by it all.

I am pleased this medication is working well for you

BOB

• Posted

Desmond

I was tring to explain my Depression etc is under control, I have been on Amytrptalene now for about ten years for a rare form of Arthritis. that is why I take this medication it is only accidental in my case it is an AD.

My Nerve damage is around my joints and tendons, also in my spine

Keep a hold

BOB

• Posted

Wow, that's a high level of mg.....I was going up to 120mg because of break through nerve pains, and then I googled this site and found, at the time, that I was on far higher than most people, so I did some research and over the last 15 months, I've dropped, slowly and carefully, down to 30mg .! !  

I was amazed at how much better my life became....my memory improved dramatically, I lost that gooey, out of myself feeling, my eyes didn't feel like they were cloudy and I could see more clearly. All in all, I found myself again, back to somewhere I'd forgotten about. 

Sometimes less is better with some medication, and I certainly found his out  with this one. I had been started on a high dose, and didn't know any better, but it's great to be on less than I was first prescribed and feeling better, far better, than I ever was. I've had several more operations since, and I'm doing great...I still have some pain, which will never leave me, but I don't wish to up the medication as I prefer to be out of the zombie state which I'd been in.  I hope this can help you in some way. Just by being aware, will be an advantage, watch how you go.

• Posted

Hello there I'm new to the site, I've been prescribed amatriptyline 10mg for a burning/numbing/ disabling pain in both my feet I've had lots of blood tests an X-ray plus recently a nerve conduction test, for a possible tarsal tunnel diagnosis, witch I am awaiting results, The pain is worse when I'm at work placing pressure on my feet!! It's almost disabling very scary!! I'm scared I won't be able to work anymore! And these tablets are not exactly making me feel great! I'm worried for my future, and not sure weather to carry on with the amitriptyline or not. Will it be a cure or just a pain reliever!!! So Will I end up on it forever, if no cure is found for my burning feet, would like to talk to someone who has same problems?! Thank you :-)

• Posted

Hi mate amtrypline are good for short term pain.ask your doctor for an alternative if you can. Good luck getting better
    • Posted

Try not to worry about. I hate taking any medication. But sometimes we have to. U concentrate on getting better soon.
    • Posted

My feet are burning as I type. Very common for me, was told its part of my inherited Charcot Marie Tooth Disease/Syndrome.

No alternative has been offered to me.

was also told it was diabetes but I don't have that.

i dropped down another 10mg of Amyt this week, but got several bouts of depression, shivers, I'd forgotten what is was like, so I took another pill.

sitting on 30mg nightly. Happy with that. better than 120.

• Posted

Oh dear, I wish you all the best :-) I unfortunately couldn't handle the amatriptyline, as much as I tried to give it a go, for me the side affects were to much for me!!! So going to try soldier on without any prescription drugs for now!!!

• Posted

Hi

I am confused as to why doctors prescribe Ami to patients for pain? I was given it for Anxiety but could only tolerate 10mg (any more made my head buzz/weird thoughts). The pill never helped with any pain I experienced yet people are given high dozes regularly yet it has very bad side effects and horrible withdrawal symptoms unless done very slowly!

Are there no better pain killers on the market these days to help ppl with their daily struggles???

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.