Waiting for pip assessment

Posted , 4 users are following.

I got dla for my son and when it changed over to pip I applied and got refused. I didn't appeal.

My son then went for a consultant appointment due to his medical conditions and the consultant asked if he was in receipt off DLA/Pip? He seemed astonished to find out we are been refused it. Told me to appeal. Found out I couldn't appeal so had to appeal again.

I have now applied and we go for an assessment tomorrow. We first applied in November. Does anyone know how long it takes to find out after the assessment if we will get it?

0 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I was assessed at the end of December and heard in 10 days.  I was expecting it to take much longer.  It varies between areas and over time but I've heard other people recently say they've had the award letter very quickly after the assessment.  

• Posted

Thanks very much for replying. Hopefully it won't take long then.

• Posted

Hi Lynn it all depends on many factors, one important question is have you submitted more in depth medical reports, if you have just filled it out the same as first lot and not supplied any further med reports then it might be you will be knocked back again, they are getting much stricter on the amount of benefit allocated to pip and even those that were on long term DLA are losing there benefits, so it will get harder, do you mind me asking how old your son is and what his disabilities are.
    • Posted

Hi there.

My son is 16 and when he turned 16 and it got changed from dla to pip he got refused it. After a reqular check up with his consultant he advised me to reply as he says he should defo be entitled to it.

The consultant says I was to forward his name on to pip and we would have his backing.

• Posted

Hi Lynn, I would strongly reccommend that you don't rely on them contacting anyone on your list. They almost never do this!! If they did this for everyone the backlogs would be even longer. You're going to need to send evidence (or take it with you to the assessment) if you dont do this you'll risk being declined again. I'm sorry but medical evidence is really important part of claim PIP.

• Posted

Oh really I didnt know this or I would have been prepared as meeting tomorrow.

I thought they would have checked with doctors and consultants as they ask doctors and consultants names in application when applying.

• Posted

They do ask for names but almost never contact them. I don't know the reason why they bother asking for names to be honest. I'll be honest with you if you have no evidence to back up your son's claim then he may be declined again. May i ask why you didn't ask for a Madatory Reconsideration (MR) the first time? Has his condtion got worse since then?

• Posted

I didn't appeal it the first time as I just went with them telling me he had been refused. It wasn't until we saw his consultant a few month later he told me he should most definitely get it I should appeal. I tried to but told I had to appeal within the first 28 off being refused.

His condition hasn't got worse but certainly hasn't got one little better!

• Posted

Have you sent any evidence at all? I'm just trying to help you because as his condition hasn't got worse he maybe refused again because it's only a few months since you got the decision. Do you have any evidence at all you can take with you to the assessment? Letters from GP, ANY consultant letters, MRI scan results, letter/diary in detail about his daily life and how he condition/s affect him?

• Posted

I haven't. My son has ADHD which was diagnosed from when he was 11. I applied for dla then and got accepted for it . He hasn't got any worse from then but certainly hasn't got any better.

• Posted

Does he take medication? If so can you get a print out of the medication list from his GP? that's a start. Although you'll need more than this.  Do you have anything other than why he was diagnosed when he was 11?. I'm sorry but i'm just trying to help you. I would be awful if your son was refused again. The MR and appeal process is very long.

• Posted

He's been on the same medication since he was diagnosed. His tablets have just been increased from his last consultant appointment. When I first applied I didn't have to go to a meeting all I did was fill the forms out and again use the consultant name and we were accepted it .

• Posted

His meeting is tomorrow morning I haven't got the time to get to doctors etc now

• Posted

Yes but that was DLA. PIP is completely different. It's all about how your condition/s affect you in daily life. You do need to prove the difficulties.

• Posted

I am not holding out much hope for tomorrow to be honest
    • Posted

If you didn't send evidence the first time this is most probably the reason he was declined then. You do have the chance to cancel one appointment. If you haven't already done this maybe it's an option. This will at least give you time to gather some evidence. There's plenty of info on the internet that will tell you evidence is key to a PIP claim. Good luck on what ever you decide to do.

• Posted

If the decision isn't in his favour you can ask for the MR this time. However most MR's the decision remains the same. You'd then have to take it to appeal tribunal. If you do get this far i would advice giving CAB a ring for their help. You can think of that as and when you get there. If you need more advice please do ask. Always happy to help and please let us know the decision when it arrives smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.