Fibromyalgia and walking aid

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi all, I've also been using a walking stick but find this a bit of a problem due to bilateral CTS and severe pain in my arms and shoulders. Could anyone advise on an alternate walking aid that may be more suited to me.

Thanks in advance for any advice

Mandy

1 like, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Hi Mandy to be fair nothing works for me as along with fibro I also have ddd but have you tried a frame? The pressure would be evenly spread then. I am sure other people will come along with other options. Gentle hugs to you x
    • Posted

Thanks Arlene,

Well I don't seem to get much relief as pain is then transported into my arm. Hubby's just ordered 2 ergonomic walking sticks, one for each side. Will try them, we'll try anything for even a slight relief, won't we! Maggers suggested a smartcrutch, another option. I've got plantar fascitis, had for about year and half now, podiatrist prescribed cushioned insoles. Made slight comfortable but still feels like walking in glass.

Thanks for advice, only joined here today

Hugs

🌸 X

• Posted

Hi Mandy, you will find some real good support and advice on here. You really seem to be going through it at the moment but we are all here to help x
  • Posted

I use a smart crutch on bad days as they are really comfortable and fully adjustable, might be worth having a look. Or perhaps try a rollator as they are very stable.  Haven't got to the stage of using a rollator just yet but I keep looking at them thinking they may be of help - particularly those with a seat so that I could rest when needed.

• Posted

Hi Mandy, I am currently using a rollator and it gives you so much support. I used a came from June to Dec of last year. I was putting all my weight on the cane and I was exhausted and in so much pain. Canes are for one sided support. If you a weak or need support for both sides you need a rollator. When I get tired I can seat down. So much pain. I have pain in my back, hips, ankles and I can barely walk on top on weakness because my left leg buckle. The rollator make walking much easier. I would recommend it. I am renting one from the medical equipment store. If you need it for long term you can just buy it. I hope this helps.
  • Posted

Hiya Mandy..I also use a walking stick, I have a fantastic walker it was made

in a swedes..I live in Australia and I ordered it online..you walk into it..it has a flexible seat, a bag I can hook on if needed...best of all you don't crouch over it, you walk into it so you don't crouch..it's was three times as expensive as the other ones..which I had two of a 3 wheeler and a four..wished I had known about it first..Doability is the name of the place in Oz that I ordered it through, my husband loves it, as it's very light and it collapses with the twist of your hand...the wheels are amazing, you will have to check them out..it turns on a 50cent piece too...just great..very easy to use especially with the way your arms are.. Leicester too..hope it helps..be blessed Mandy, have a lovely day too..😘😘💐

• Posted

Sorry Mandy.,don't know what  "Leicester too" was meant to be.,,just the auto corrector I recon..lol😍

• Posted

Here are a couple of photos.,they don't show the bag..just the hooks and they don't show the back strap...but they are all in with it..the seat is leather and is pliable such easy manouvreabily..is that a word..lol..😘😘💐

• Posted

Hi Christine, thanks for that info, will look into o e of those that would be great for a little stroll to shops! Maggers also recommended a smart crutch. This info is really appreciated

Thanks again

Mandy

💐X

• Posted

Hey ihave fibromyalgia plus severe neck and back problems I use a trolley to hold on to when I go out which is very occasionally and that's normally to hospital

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.