Yet another flare up

Posted , 3 users are following.

Again great for almost 2 months and he i go again so breathless, i keep wishing it would last longer without one but all last year was the same i dont smoke now well only e-cig which is ok and i exercise and not heavy, Doc said i am doing everything right but just dont know why so many only other thing is that i do like a drink on a Sat and Sunday after a flare up im ok for couple of weeks and ok when have a drink then around 3rd then 4th week after a drink i am so breathless again. I dont know if it is the drink i hope not or just the COPD flare up again. God does my head in hated last year with so many flare ups was hoping this year would go better

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Hello Margaret.I know what you mean about these flare ups.I started a awful cough in September last year an when you think thats it,you get another one.I have had only a 2 week break.For the pass 2 nights I have had a awful night coughing an breathless but both nights I ve had a little bottle of wine.Never thought drink would affect a cough.I will go without one tonight,lol.I am off to the drs tomorrow an going to ask if I can come off the inhaler I been on since November as a side effect is it can cause a cough.Well September to January an still coughing not good.
    • Posted

Well let me know what he says about alcohol if it does effect it. Cd be cause i only do it on a Sat and Sunday so perhaps cause its so much at once, but thats when you want to enjoy it. Soon no be able to do anything
  • Posted

check with your doctor or pharmacist about drug interactions with alcohol.

All fizzy drinks, soda, cola, fanta, beer, bubbly wine will make breathing more difficult, the abdomen swells leaving less space for the diaphragm muscles to work as well thus making breathing more difficult.

Some disregard this advice to their peril.

Cold weather will also exacerbate symptoms so if you are going out drinking in this cold weather you are likely to experience more severe symptoms.

Chat to your doctor of the BLF helpline if you want more advice on this :

https://www.blf.org.uk/

in addition alcohol can destroy the nutrients consumed in food, lung patients of course should following a healthy balanced diet, but if you are only having a glass or two of wine every 2-3 nights there shouldn't be a problem unless of course you are taking medication that is affected by alcohol.  

Sometimes ABs and preds are not as affective when taking alcohol which will account for why you keep getting flare ups, on the other hand you may develop reflux by mixing meds with alcohol.

Bear in mind what one doctor may tell one patient won't necessarily be the same for another patient, one may be on different medication to another.

Its difficult this time of year, my lungs this year are not coping so well at all even without alcohol.

Take care and breathe easy

• Posted

Thank you for a interesting post,Vee.I do drink a lot of fizzy drinks so I will cut down on that.I didnt have a wine lastnight an slept like a top.lol.I had'nt coughed since 8am Tuesday morning until 7.30 this morning Wednesday.I have been on a inhaler preventer that a side effect was can cause a cough.Well I stopped using it on Sunday.Now going to see a dr today an ask to be put on a another one.I have been coughing everyday an night since September I need a break now.

• Posted

best wishes for your doctor's appointment today, that's too long to be coughing.

• Posted

Didnt know that fizzy drinks did that, could perhaps be the problem as it is lager or cider i drink both days, I feel wine is to strong for me and cant drink much of that so thats why i drink what i do as i can have that all night while out. I do not drink juice or any other fizzy drinks right enough, also dont mix drink while taken medication i only have my inhaler for COPD no meds unless when my breathing gets really bad, which is a lot right enough, it is a bugger as dont drink spirts so dont know what i could drink if not my lager or cider OH Dear

• Posted

one cider or larger won't hurt, but if you are drinking all night breathing is bound to be affected.

• Posted

god sake what a boring life its going to be, this did not happen in first 2 years its going to be downhill i think
    • Posted

I myself would rather give up the wine and be able to breathe better.But since Tuesday evening I have felt fine.First time since last September that I haven't got a cough.We will get good days an bad I suppose.

• Posted

The doctor has changed my Preventer inhaler an surprisely I haven't got a cough anymore.I am very pleased as I had been coughing since September.I want a good spell for a few months now.

• Posted

its entirely your choice, most people do what works and there is life after smokes and alcohol, imagine that wink  

• Posted

As a fellow COPD sufferer I gave up smoking 18 months ago, and went onto e-cigs, convincing myself that they are significantly less harmful. However, I was still having breathless spells, and after being in hospital with pneumonia for two weeks, I gave up the e-cigs. After three months I am feeling so much better, my oxygen level has gone up from 87% to 98%, and my breathing is normal.  I would try giving them up and see if you get the same improvement. It's not been easy but well worth the effort. Best of luck

• Posted

I guess i am trying to beleive that its not the e-cig but i go over and over what it is i am doing diff from a year or two when was always ok and that is only thing i come up with as i did take it before but not constantly as i do now i always have it now and god would be so hard not to Then i thought well if i have it that much get the zero nicotine one and then that should be okay and i can still puff away as i have addictive personality but no still the same Your words seem right and i admire you doing it wish i was as strong just drives me crazy thought of it. Your level up so much so that is amazing really Well done really x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.