It's said you can use Imodium for opiate withdraw, but will it take away pain?

Posted , 5 users are following.

I've read on google you can use Anti- diarrhea to help with opiate withdraw. Well awhile ago I was hooked on opiates and I used Imodium to kick the stomach pains from withdrawals. Anyways now I would only take tremadol thinking bc it's not an opiate there is no harm. Well I get reoccurring UTI's and get tremadols monthly for other reasons but bc of the uti and me wanting to enjoy Christmas I finished my bottle early. I called an asked the nurse if I can get an early refill and explained my situation, she told me doctors will not give early refills on narcotics (which I did not know tremadols were considered a narcotic). Anyways I'm here in pain with an awful Uti and taking antibiotics that are not working. If anyone has ever tried anti-diarrhea medication for withdrawals will it work to get rid of pain as well? I'm not looking for a high, just want something to relieve this uti pain and azo's, ibprophen and tylonal is not workingsad

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi, that's a rough ride.

Yes you can, and should, use Imodium. My Doctor prescribed it for me - the non-brand-name is loperamide hydrochloride. The non brand name ones are cheaper. Make sure to keep your food and drink going, easy to get very weak which makes pain worse somehow.

It helps quite a lot, although it's all still painful and unpleasant.

• Posted

Hi Sarah,

I had a UTI when I was in hospital the second time due to a long running abuse of opiates. It was one of the most painful things of my life, of course I had other health issues going on at the time as well but nothing would take the pain away. After a couple of days on anti biotics it started feeling better but other than that there's honestly not much else that will get rid of the pain. Cranberry is fantastic for treating UTI's. You can get it in capsule form which makes it much easier to take. You should also be drinking loads of water like 2-3 litres a day, that will help flush the bacteria out. I found a hot water bottle or hot bath also helped tremendously.

Hope u feel better soon. Take care.

Nikki

• Posted

Also as side note. Imodium most probably won't do a thing as it works on the bowels not the bladder smile

• Posted

Thank you Nikki, my uti started a year ago but was not the burning or urgency feeling like a normal uti. It felt more like a knot in my lower abdominal and was running a fever. I knew I had some kind of infection just didn't know what it was and I left it untreated for 2 months before heading to the ER. I was off opiates for 9yrs before I got this uti so I know it wasn't the opiates that caused the uti. I have been prescribed bacterium with no luck, ciproflexin still nothing, Nitro which I was prescribed that twice by two different doctors an nothing, cephalexin did not work and now levophlexin and still there. This uti will fade after I finish the antibiotics but returns3-5 days later. For this happening for a year now I'm drained of uti pain, and the only relief so far that has wroked is tremadols. I've tried hydros and morphine and they do not work. I take azo fast relief and azo cranberry pills I drink tons of water as well, cranberry juice seems to agitate me even more. Since I have no tremadols and know the Imodium works for withdrawals I was really hoping it works as a painkiller and would take the pain away like the tremadols did.

• Posted

Mine was very similar. I didn't have pain or burning whilst urinating but I would feel like I needed to wee really bad and not much at all would come out. I also had unbearable abdominal pain. I was told in the hospital that certain anti biotics need to be prescribed for certain bacteria that cause the UTI. Perhaps that's why you haven't had much luck. Do u drink a lot of caffiene or sugar? These can increase your chances of reoccurring UTI's. Smoking as well. If not it may be worth getting your kidney function checked out. Slow kidney function can be a cause too.

I hope u can get to the bottom of it as I remember how agonising the pain was for me and I wouldn't wish it on anyone.

Take care

Nikki

• Posted

Hi Sarah,

I am sorry for your troubles and feel your pain; however, no imodium (and similar drugs) will NOT help with pain. It will only help with the single withdrawl symptom of diarrhea (or the lack of constipation usually provided that you get used to). It will not help with pain, or other withdrawl symptoms (that differ from person to person and I won't scare you by listing). I would consider pain to be the worst of them and the reason you are taking opiates in the first place. 

How long do you have to go?

Good luck. It is hard dealing with the new found "opioid" crisis as someone who needs them....

• Posted

I'm not sure what u mean how long do I have to go? I have 3 days before a refill on my script. Tremadols seem to be the only medication that has worked for a uti pain. Opiates in general really don't take that kind of pain away for me. I went a head an did the azo's fast relief and azo's cranberry pills with 4 mortrins and did the Imodium with omeprazole and it worked. Didn't take it completely away like a tremadol pill would but it did ease the pain by 80%. The sucky part is I think it got me buzzed which was told that Imodium and omeprazole mixed together will help with pain but not get you high, that's a lie. I took 18 Imodiums and 3 omeprazole and got a euphoric effect which I hate. Also directions on google say not too take over 50 Imodiums at a time as it can stop your heart so anyone reading this please please don't do this.

• Posted

Hi Sarah

It would be safest and best to just ride out the UTI pain. As a sufferer myself I find that urinary alkalizers and lots of water help and after about 48 hrs the antibiotics should start to work and the pain goes

Good luck

• Posted

Thank you, but after multiple different antibiotics for a year now the doctors are realizing my body does not take to antibiotics. They want to do a cystoscope to see what can be possibly causing this uti to not go away or find the underlining problem. Only downside is I have no insurance an can not afford that kind of procedure and still paying my $10,000 bill off I already have at the hospital.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.