Neuro symptom help please

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello,

I'm in a complete mess with my vision, this started as seeing starbursts off lights december 2015, by Jan 2016 I was seeing flashes of light, increased after images and static like vision (like grainy dots).

Progression seemed to stop until late August 2016, I got double vision followed by more static and its been progressing daily since, I now have missing parts of my visual field in each eye.

I have had lots of Opthalmology tests but no eye issues found. I originally saw a Neurologist in Feb 2016 but it was put to a watch and wait case since at that point he couldnt see anything on his checks and my symptoms had stopped progressing.

I had a brain and orbits mri scan with and without contrast in october 2016 which has shown no abnormality, yet I continue to get worse daily.

I am now awaiting further neuro appointments.

I do suffer with anxiety and I'm very worried I have something awful like CJD.

The only abnormalities found are in my bloodwork:

High serum b12 on 5 different blood tests, I do not take vitamins.

High RBC, Haematocrit, Haemoglobin, which is secondary to testosterone replacement therapy.

Any help would be very appreciated

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Did your opthamologist check your retina completely.  A detached retina may be the issue possibly.  You will see flashes of light with this condition. Suggest you see your eye doctor again if you haven't had it checked.

• Posted

My retina's have been checked lots of times but always look fine, I do suffer with anxiety and health anxiety so I tend to overthink and think the worst. I keep trying to tell myself that cjd would have at least have me bedridden after 12-13 months.

• Posted

Hi

Unusual to have high B12 count but not knowing your age makes it difficult to know why, B12 usually reduces as you age and people with MS are usually very low on B12. I had a similar problem years ago and had an injection of cortisone in the eye which solved the problem. I really dont know how to advise you my friend but reducing the anxiety would be a priority no matter what as that can cause even more problems. If you can try and reduce it without drugs you will be better off as sometimes the drugs given for it are far worse than the problem.

Take care

• Posted

Hello steven thanks for replying, I'm 35, the high b12 was found 3 years ago after I was experiencing symmetrical tingling and burning sensations of my hands and feet. My gp ordered the b12/folate essay to check for b12 deficiency. I find it very strange that its actually high, I had further blood tests to check for blood cancers but those were negative. Its been high 5 times out of 5 tests, hovering between 757 -1100 with upper range being 663.

My ideas went towards a problem of my body maybe not being able to use b12 and a functional deficency but couldnt get anywhere with drs on that theory.

Interestingly my folate is a polar opposite and only just barely in range at 4.2

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.