Still in bad pain 4 weeks PST FDL tendon transfer

Posted , 3 users are following.

Has anyone had an fdl tendon transfer and can advise me if they were still in bad pain 4 weeks post op.

It seems to have got worse in the last few days. I am still non weight bearing in plaster. I found wiggling toes so painful I stopped. I now have a feeling of something pulling around my inner ankle. I am worried that something g has torn. It fells a but like that. I was told I couldn't hurt it when in plaster unless I weight bear which I have not.

Can anyone put my mind at rest.

1 like, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi Val

I have had it done on both my feet.

Sorry to hear your experiencing discomfort.

Have you recently had a cast change? Have you been trying to flex/stretch your muscles in your leg? I was told you just wiggle my toes at that stage.

I never got pain unless I had a cast change or if I accidentally stretched my muscles and then I could feel a nagging ache. If none of the above ide contact your doctor.No harm in doing so is there.

Keep it elevated . Keep me posted on your recovery.

Nikky

• Posted

Hi Nikky, thanks for replying, I have only wiggled toes but big toe hurt a lot when I moved it. This is a repeat of some of my surgery. Different surgeon. The first attempt at transfer was apparently too loose t the bottom and too tight at the top where it was joined to what was left of post tib tendon. I had a slight trip 12 months after surgery and I had a terrible ripping feeling and my foot started leaning outwards. My old surgeon did a scan and said he couldn't find anything. He wouldn't do anything and said it would heal. It didn't and I saw another surgeon with a very good reputation. So the op I have just had also had to remove a lot of adhesions. All my tendons were stu k together and the retinaculum was torn. He also removed the rest of the old tendon, as it was diseased and put correct tension on transfer and re attached it.

As there was do much cutting g I expected more pain. At the end of first week I was doi.g well

• Posted

Sorry pressed reply too soon. When I was put in full plaster it hurt very badly as it was pressing on the wounds. I rang and spoke to plaster tech but he said it was normal. I had to stick it got a week as it was Christmas, then I phoned surgeon and got it changed. It was a bit better but since last Friday has been getting much worse and feels know when i I've my leg up and down as If something has torn where the plaster was rubbing and the pain is much worse. Its also hurting where the transfer is attached under my foot and at the inner ankle

I am so worried that something bad has happened. I will ring surgeon tommorow. Can't sleep. Sorry for such a long post but lying awake in pain it helped to write it down. Putting it straight in my mind will help me explain tomorrow.

• Posted

Hi Val.

Are you in England ? Poor u!

I had a casting that was too tight and my foot swelled tI'll the pressure was unbearable. I made them remove it and put a new one on. You must go with your gut Instinct.

Both my feet were done by different surgeons too. I know that is the key! I can say ive been very lucky.

Hang in there and hopefully they see u asap.

Pain you are experiencing isn't normal . I don't want to worry u .....just concerned u get the right treatment.

If you are in the UK, a NHS patients, u can request to see a doc of your choice......I did . I was recommended to go to see this specific team at Guys. Keep me posted pls.

Gd luck n if u want my surgeon s details let me know.

He comes highly recommended and I can safely say he's a genius.

Nikky

• Posted

Hi Nikky.

I have had a bad few days again with pain. I went to have my plaster changed today and they put my foot straight. I always thought that the plaster casts were causing a lot of pain and the tech today said he thought the casts HD irritated the nerve endings. He padded out my ankles and shin with foam pieces. This has helped a lot. Wish it was done sooner. I spoke to the ward sister today. She said that as I had a lot of adhesions removed as well as the revised transfer, there was a lot of healing to be done. She felt everything was OK. Iust say my foot looked a nice shape. The nurses an aster tech said it was all good. I am having my plaster removed and a boot put on in ten days when I see the surgeon. I will keep you posted. I hope you are doing well.

• Posted

Hi Val

All sounds very familiar. Hang in there. Cast changes cause a lot of discomfort and pain. I too had lots of padding that helped lots.

pleased to hear you are on the mend! I'm doing great thanks!

Stay positive 😊

Nikky

• Posted

Hi Nikky,

I have been out of plaster for two weeks. I thought I would see if things would improve. Unfortunately i am having many of the symptoms I had before surgery

and I fear they will only get worse.

As you can imagine I am very down

I can't see the surgeon for two weeks as he is on leave next week and he does a lot of private work so he is elusive at the best of times

Please would you give me the details of your surgeon. Although I feel very down , I know I must keep positive. If I have no joy when I see my surgeon , I want to get another opinion quickly before it deteriorates even more! Whatever he says I think I should have another opinion.

• Posted

Hi Val, yes I had that. Done and yes it's normal,, I had mine done in summer 22/7/ 2016'last year and I go back to London on the 1st of Feb still on crunchers hopeing to go down to 1 but it's such hard work hurts when  exercising    My trainer guy said don't worry about the swelling and pain it's part of it but I find it is slow  progress    U will get there good luck 😀

• Posted

Hi Linda, the for getting back.

I have not been on the internet for a few days, been feeing rough. I gave had my plaster changed again today. I feels a lit better. They assured me that all was well. The plaster tech I saw today padded my ankles and shin with foam. That has helped a lot. If one knows that things cantake a long time and that you are not alone it helps!

• Posted

Hi Val , glad you are okay and have been Told everything is okay 👌 I went yo the gym today did half hour god knacked but now have to go 3times a week ,,,,must get that stretched... at the back of the foot it's such a long job ,trouble is ,,,  I have no   patients. For this I am dreadful..I find it hard I want to get on with my life right now but ,,just have to Bare with it glad u are getting there  do you think you will see another Docter Val xlinda 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.