So confusing

Posted , 3 users are following.

Somebody please explain this to me. My doctor prescribes for me to take 4 weeks of Cipro because I had a high PSA at 5.1 and then come back for a recheck. I take 2 weeks and had to go back to pharmacy today to get the remaining 2 weeks of pills because for some reason they could only give me half at a time; should have been a red flag, and they said; Insurance won't pay for them till the 27th. I question them and they said according to insurance you only need to take 2 weeks worth. My recheck on PSA is the 24th but I can't get rest of medicine till 27th. What a screwed up system we have! Nevertheless, doctor going to go ahead and recheck PSA 2 weeks early. Very confused!!

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Yeah Schoolbusdriver, what a screwed up system that the chemist and insurance dictate your treatment. 

Curiously, when I went on cipro for 6 weeks, my chemist only had three weeks supply in store and had to get the other three weeks supply in 2 weeks later. BUT, here in Australia, what the doctor orders has right of way. 

We have government policies that mandates a certain regime, like what you encounted, but our doctors have a central telephone number to call, where they are given a relief number to put on the script to suspend the government policy for a patient's drugs, if the doctor deems it a requirement.  

The benefit of a straight 4 weeks' worth of cipro means the UTI cannot regroup. If you have a 2 week break, the cipro may not be as effective. Because you have no PSA history, it is not possible to know if your 5.1 PSA is a one off spike or a steady increase over time. 

Maybe you can ask for a PSA Free or a PHI test before you get roped into a biopsy.

Geoff

• Posted

When I go back for the recheck I am requesting PSA, free PSA and PHI. I want to get all the information I can before I go to urologist. Thanks!
    • Posted

Here, the PSA Free is a no cost to patient test. The PHI costs us AUD$100. MRI costs us between AUD$500-750. No gov't assistance.

A lot depends on your PSA reading as to what you do next. Most times, prostatitus and or a UTI will raise the PSA for many months. The antibiotic had done its job to kill off the UTI. Now it is just a matter of time for the prostate inflamation to subside.

On another post, I mentioned my brother's PSA took 2.5 years to return after a UTI, but he had a 10 year history of PSA reading to see the 3 month spike from 3.3 to 19, now back to 4. Because you have no PSA history, a lot harder to make a call as to why the PSA is "high" 

Geoff

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.