ED - Extremely high Testosterone, HELP?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hey lovely people of Patient, having two issues, one i wanna talk about on this board specifically. The other is hair loss which I think might be related. I'll try keep this breif. 

Problem: 

ED/Shrinkage/Premature/everything you can imagine, even what seems like pee leakage, might be wrong on that one.

(CHANGES PROFILE PICTURE) 

Doctor has been ace but all he can do is test for hormones which hit a big result, Urologist was the worst person i've ever met and i've got another pointless meeting that i set up where he will say it's in my head again. Even my doctor think's he is a *******. 

So my hormones came up very interesting indeed.

Serum Testosterone 17.7 nmol/l (x10 normal highest my doc ever seen) 

Free androgen index 36.1 Range (0.30-5.62range) (very high i am told) 

Prolactin 539 mu/L (minor it seems) 

I know google doesn't know everything, but no where does high testosterone seem to cause these problems.

Anyone any experience in such high levels, or any advice based on my bloods would be great...

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

It would make more sense to see an endocrinologist than a urologist if your hormones are off. You will probably need more extensive testing of hormones related to testosterone and possibly some other tests to get to the root of the problem. Either your body is producing way too much testosterone (which could be from a benign tumor for example) or your body is not able to get rid of the testosterone it is producing or both. The first thing to do would be to redo the blood tests to confirm there was not some lab error. Obviously it is not your head with lab results like the ones you have. You can experience symptoms of low testosterone if the blood levels are high if your body is not able respond to it (for example some genetic diseases, though they usually are apparent from a young age).

How old are you? I assume you have not been taking supplemental testosterone (patch, injection or similar)?

• Posted

James thanks so much for your reply. 

Endocrinologist I am on a waiting list for, could be a while I am told. (though he said he will try and rush it with results like mine). Bloods are getting done again Friday as they are shocked. Even was like, is a decimal place in the wrong order 17.7 when the normal is 1.7 but he said the 36 androgen index ruled that mistake out. 

I had a CT scan recently and was told this would have shown a tumor? (not sure how true this is, still want a MRI! but that will start the process of waiting for a Neurologist) 

Very interesting, least i've some idea, doctors don't do a lot to inform patients on what's actually going on and i am very curious. 

Do you think my downstairs could be testosterone related? *my main question* 

Age 26 and no never. no patch, injections or anything like that at all. 

• Posted

I do think your problems "downstairs" are related, either to the high testosterone directly or whatever is causing the high testosterone. A CT scan would usually show a tumor but with both CT and MRI it depends what what part of the body they are looking at, what they are looking for, what if any contrast agents are used and so forth. Unless the CT scan was specifically to look for a tumor related to the high testosterone issue you should probably talk to a Neurologist (but probably after seeing what the endocrinologist says).

In any case if the follow up testing continues to show such high levels stick with pursuing it, they should eventually be able to find the root cause and treat it.

• Posted

Thanks buddy, even though so many things go wrong, my man hood was still something i needed reasured. First stop endo. 

Thanks for your advice, I will update when these things happen so if anyone else has this happen they might get insight

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.