Vitamin d deficiency

Posted , 6 users are following.

9 weeks ago I was fit and active went to the gym 3 times a week weight training and do lots of walking healthy lifestyle etc. then I started with a cold virus and my arms and legs were very weak. I have got progressively worse and now can't walk far at all or do anything as the muscles in my arms and legs are so weak and stiff plus I have fatigue. I am unable to go to work. I was diagnosed with d deficiency and started 50000 iu per week 3 weeks ago. When will the treatment start working? Do you consider these symtoms to fit with d deficiency? Is it possible that the virus suddenly depleted my d levels?  Look forward to your reply. 

1 like, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

You sound like you are normally a very healthy person who looks after yourself.  

What kind of diet are you on?

Do you eat plenty of animal products, red meat, fish, eggs, poultry, dairy produce?

The reason I ask is that Vitamin D is sourced naturally from the above foods - and/or from exposure to sunlight which enables the skin to make it.

If you are not eating those foods (or sunbathing in winter) that may be why you became deficient.  As to when you will feel better - how long is a piece of string?

The symptoms you decribe fit Vitamin D deficiency and they also describe a Vitamin B12 deficiency which again can only naturally obtained by eating those same foods from which we derive Vitamin D.

So, if you have become deficient in one you may also be deficient in the other.

If, having finished the Vitamin D supplement you have been prescribed you haven't recovered completely I suggest you go back to your doctor and ask for your serum B12 and serum Folate levels to be checked.

I am not a medically qualified person but one who has had Pernicious Anaemia (a form of B12 deficiency) for 45 years and am also Vitamin D deficient.

I wish you well.

• Posted

Hi Jane,

D deficiency can give these symptoms but, I'm looking at you having the cold/virus first and then suddenly getting these symptoms. There's a condition called PVF/PVS (post viral fatigue/syndrome) this can also give these symptoms. Have a look on line to see if you feel this fits. Most people recover from this but some go onto have CFS (chronic fatigue syndrome) which is longer lasting. Gp's cannot investigate for CFS until you have PVF/PVS for at least 6 months I believe. Many people recover within that period.

Rest is the main thing for both conditions I believe and I cannot stress how important it is in the later. As Clive states, d deficiency in winter is more apparent. From what I've read it can take a little while to start to feel the benefit of the medication and many top up with some sunshine in the warmer weather.

Hope this helps

Beverley

• Posted

I think it is very unlikely the virus depleted your vit D levels suddenly. Low vit D is also associated with autoimmune disorders as well as causing these sort of symptoms itself. However - it is perfectly possible to be severely depleted but have no symptoms at all - my husband doesn't and his vit D level was 7!!!! And you were presumbably depleted 9 weeks ago when you were happily working out at the gym.

I suspect it is more likely you have some form of post-viral syndrome, such as chronic fatigue syndrome, and if your symptoms persist after a couple of months of vit D I think that should be considered by your doctor. 

https://patient.info/health/myalgic-encephalomyelitischronic-fatigue-syndrome-mecfs-leaflet

I'd like to comment on a couple of Clive's statements. Whoever you are and whatever you eat, you get only about 10% of the amount of vit D you need from diet since most foods do not contain vit D - unless you live in the USA where many foods including milk and fruit juice are fortified. They are NOT fortified in Europe so that doesn't help there. I don't know where you live, but you also cannot make vit D in the skin in winter unless you live south of Turin in Europe and Boston in the USA and you have to be out in the sun without sunscreen at midday for at least 15mins. Some people simply don't make vit D in their skin for all sorts of reasons - including dark skin colour. 

• Posted

There's a therapy called solar gazing in which in the summer months you can look at the sun during the first hour of sunrise and the last hour before sunset starting with seconds and gradually increasing the dose.

You can do this in the winter more when the sun isn't so bright. There are some great youtube videos on it and it's best to find out more before doing it. There have been scientific studies. I can substantiate that there are health benefits because when I've done it I've felt so much more energetic and better and we can get vitamin d through the thin skin around our eyes and other health benefits through sunlight in our eyes.

• Posted

Given the risks of looking directly at the sun and the fact that sunlight must strike the skin at a high angle to trigger the vit D manufacturing process I don't think looking towards the sun before breakfast will help vit D levels! The sun is only high enough between 11am and 3pm. Don't believe everything you read that says it has been proven in "scientific studies"!!!!

• Posted

That's why I said it's best to learn about it first in order to do it safely. I didn't say anything about vitamin d and studies, the studies were on solar gazing.

I've never heard that the sun has to be a particular height to gain vitamin d from it; it makes more sense that we can get certain amounts at different heights but none most of the time? Doesn't sound right to me.

By the way I don't believe everything I read in scientific studies; I also tried it out for myself.

• Posted

I think the thing that would worry me about sungazers is that one guy says that he has not eaten for eight years but lived on the sun's rays.

• Posted

Yes, I saw a video about him; that's the scientific research I mentioned, it was on him!

I wouldn't go that far though, I like my food! cheesygrin

• Posted

There are scientific studies and scientific studies - you have to be able to tell the difference. You did mention vit D being absorbed through the skin around the eyes - except you don't "absorb" vit D, it is made from cholesterol as the starting point.

The sun's rays must strike the skin at above a certain angle to switch on the process - when the sun is low in the sky that doesn't happen so early mornings, late in the day and during the winter the process isn't switched on. Nor does it work well if you use sunscreen (Factor 8 reduces the amount of vit D made by over 90% for example, a slight suntan is equivalent to factor 12). Lots of things affect it. 

• Posted

I was really looking for people with experience in having these symptoms from vitamin d deficiency. Nobody wants to be told they have CFs or PVS. It is negative and depressing. It is my fault I should not have signed up for this forum or any other. I really just wanted some positive stories/experiences 

fom jane0077

• Posted

Sorry you feel that way, I seriously was trying to help and be positive in saying people recover
    • Posted

Like Beverley I'm sorry you feel that way. 

However - these forums aren't here not to say what you may not want to here. It isn't negative or depressing - it is called being realistic and really - if you were fine 10 weeks ago and not fine 7 weeks ago it is very unlikely to be solely due to vit D deficiency which was why I answered your question "could the virus have depleted vit D suddenly" with no, it isn't likely - and this much more likely. 

• Posted

I think all your respondants are simply trying to make you aware that there might be other causes for your symptoms should they not clear up following your supplementation.

Be well soon and back down the gymn

• Posted

If you are vitamin D deficient it normally takes at least three months to build the level up again and get rid of any symptoms. Good luck.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.