Painful lump in the Breast at 26

Posted , 5 users are following.

I am 26 and married. My periods are 7 days away and I recently discovered a lump under my left Brest under my nipple. It's about 2-3cm, it hurts when you touch it. I haven't had any lumps or cysts before. I m really panicking. Also could the lump/cyst be because of PMS ( my other breast feel normal and not tender at all). My grandmother ( my mothers mum died of breast cancer in 1991 at the age of 50). What should I do next ?

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi I am new to this I saw ur post and just want to reply I have an anxiety disorder and one evening I was looking at my myself in the mirror I saw a dent underneath my left breast when I raise my arms. I have an ultrasound tomorrow and am freaking out I am stress am not sure if it's something spreading I cried everyday from I found it out am only 24 sigh I am confuse I just need reassurance I went to visit my GP and I read online about indents n it's all about BC I AM so scared.

• Posted

All U can say from one anxiety sufferer to another.. STOP READING!!

You're stressing yourself out,everybody's body is different.I did this same very thing

gave myself multiple panic attacks. Take your meds and relax everything will be okay.

Tell yourself that,breath and believe it!!!

• Posted

I was told if it cause pain,likely it's not breast cancer.I think it feels

tender because of your period. Breast cancer runs in my family.I've had

three surgeries on my breast.I had a lump on my right breast under my nipple.

It was non cancerous...polynoma.I had some nodes removed all better now. Don't

worry!!See your doctor,schedule a mammogram and think positive.

• Posted

FYI, there are malignant breast cancers which present as painful lumps, so don't ignore a lump as being harmless just because it's painful. It's an old wives tale, and a dangerous one to boot.

Most are painless, but it's important to know that some are not. 

• Posted

The very next thing you need to do is chill out. Stressing about it won't help. Chill out and make an appointment with your doctor to have them check it out. They might tell you it's nothing since lumps at your age are pretty common. 

You don't have cysts until you do. Some people get them with puberty, others not until decades later. That you've never had a cyst or lump before isn't indicative of anything either way. You could just have a clogged duct or some other simple explanation. 

Also, one grandmother dying of breast cancer, even a maternal grandmother, puts you on the very very low end of the hereditary risk. High prevalence of breast, uterine and ovarian cancers in close female family members ie sisters, mother, aunts,and 1st cousins would be worrying. One grandparent...not so much. 

Next, you're right in the period of time where a cyst can be making itself known because of where you are in your menstrual cycle. It fills up with fluid, presses on a nerve and suddenly you're feeling both a lump and experiencing pain and your brain goes into overdrive with worry.

Until you can make an appointment to get it checked out, monitor it, don't sleep on it, wear a comfortable bra, apply heat and take an anti-inflammatory (like aspirin or ibuprofen). See if it goes away after your period and make a note of that too.  

Meanwhile stop freaking out. So far you aren't saying anything that you need to be freaking out about nor will stressing help. In fact, it may trigger your body to give you more symptoms to freak you out. Lumps and discharges are incredibly common in women your age. Chill out and go see a doctor. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.