How long does it take to feel normal again after being diagnosed with anemia

Posted , 4 users are following.

Last May I was diagnosed with Iron deficiency anemia. I had a blood transfusion and was prescribed supplements. (They think this was caused by heavy periods and the paraguard IUD) The prescribed supplements ran out in early September. I had my levels checked and iron was normal and ferritin was at a 25. I still take an over the counter iron with vitamin C but I still have symptoms. I am always tired, have some concentration issues, and some anxiety/panic attacks. I work out regularily and switched birth controls so that my period is lighter. It has been 8 months. When will I feel better?

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I wonder the same thing. I found out I was anemic about 4 months ago and I see no improvement.
  • Posted

The range for ferritin is  around 18-120 and some reccomend a value of 70. I took really high doses of supplements for 3 months and my iron went down with ferritin increasing marginally. 

I was then prescribed an iron infusion and felt normal in 4 weeks. Unfortunately this has worn off again. So it depends on how fast you absorb the iron and whether you have fixed why you lost it in the first place as to how soon you might feel better. 

• Posted

Hi Jackson 12,

?I feel for you because I was diagnosed with life threatening severe anemia 2 years ago.  Mine was as a result of heavy periods from fibroid tumours, so for me, the way to stop the tireness, foggy brain, etc, was to tackle the reason for the heavy bleeding, which I'm glad to say I'm on top of now and it's very light, almost non existant.  As a small pieced of advice, although doing some form of exercise is good for general health, I wouldn't necessarily recommend doing vigourous exercise because you are using up that energy you could be using to rest, doing gentle daily activities like taking a light walk is sufficient.  You don't want to do vigourous exercise when you already have very low energy because you will build up lactic acid, which will create other problems. 

Could I ask apart from working out and changing your birth control pills, what else have you tried?  For example, what types of food do you eat? Have your periods become lighter as a result of switching your birth control pills?  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.