Lifting and excercise

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi ladies

My Tvt and rectocele were on 19/9 so a few weeks ago now. Over the last month I've been increasing my activities again and started lifting my horse dung. Just a little and only small barrows, lighter than a wet load of washing. Just wondering is lifting like this ok? Not sure whether lifting heavy things is a no no forever or is it possible in time? Also I want to start running again, fast walks then jogs I thought. Is this ok? I ask because i saw recently that I should never jump on a trampoline after rectocele and it got me worrying about lifting. I'm 48. Thanks ladies in advance.

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I would like to know too. I've been lifting, not real heavy. Carrying vacuum up a set of steps, Ready to start ridding a bike, and some toning exercise too. I already walk a lot, but need more than that.

I'm 51, I can see a big difference in myself over the past 6 months. Not to the good! Lol.

• Posted

Hi. I was told by my gyny physio that running was a no no. I've never been a runner so that's fine. But if you've ran prior to op then may it's ok. But I'm no sure. I've read on here that a trampoline isn't good. No exercises that entail lifting both feet off floor e.g. When lying on back doing stomach crunches. I do cycling and walking although not cycling at mo due to an ongoing pain that is being investigated.

• Posted

Hi ladies

My consultant told me running was fine after tvt but then we went ahead and did rectocele also and I didn't think this would be so dreadful an op. Nor did he say anything about how significant it would be. I was only a slow jogger before but really enjoyed it so had expected to go back. I'll be gutted if I can't get back to all normal activities. I'm going to email the hospital today as there's so much conflicting advice. I'll update you all if i get a response x

• Posted

There is general information on the Genitourinary Prolapse home page under the heading Useful Resources but that is general and may not apply to every patient particularly when it comes to lifting once you've recovered. Ladies on this forum think we are given conflicting advice but that isn't the case because how much you can lift and when is up to your urogynaecologist because a lot depends on several factors. One is the extent of your prolapse (or you may have had more than 1) and the amount of sutures it took to repair, was anything else used in the repair such as porcine skin or mesh, your age and how successful the surgery was and your weight and age. This is why I'm cautious about advice given because the incorrect advice can easily be given. Always listen to the expert......the urogynaecologist.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.