Sertraline help!

Posted , 19 users are following.

I was diagnosed with severe panic disorder and social agarophobia with heightened anxiety and panic attacks 14days ago. I have been on Sertraline for 14 days but the side effects are horrendous. I have panic attacks from 730 till late afternoon. Does anyone else have this?? Please i need to talk to someone who understands as im alone 😨

0 likes, 717 replies

717 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Nicola,

First of all, you are never alone. Someone, somewhere is always listening (or reading in this case.)

It can be really difficult in the early stages of taking Sertraline to deal with the side effects but it takes at least 6-8 weeks to start working so please hang in there.

If you aren't feeling any better after that period it may be that Sertraline isn't the right medication for you.

Everyone is different so what works for one person might not for another.

Look after yourself meantime. Try to get quality sleep, eat healthily and exercise, even if you don't feel like it. It will give you a boost.

Stay strong, Carol smile

• Posted

Hi Nicola I have had horrible side effects also.I have just been increased to 200 mg and the side effects have already started😥I have lost a lot of weight not being able to eat from the anxiety/side effects of not being hungry.We have to keep our head up as we are all in this together and we will eventually overcome it.Good luck🙂

• Posted

Are you getting my response as im new to this and i don't know if im answering right? Im sorry to be a pain. Im really struggling right now, my anxiety is so bad im fighting to not have a panic attack x im so scared c

• Posted

Just remember the anxiety and panic attacks aren't going to harm us they just scare us to death.You will make it through them.Try and relax and take deep breaths.Try and find something to occupy your mind.I know none of this is easy as I have increased my dose and just felt numb with anxiety today 😥I am here for you

• Posted

Also did you get a benzo to help with the anxiety and all til the Zoloft has time to take effect?
    • Posted

Thank you so much and i am here for you if i can be any help? 😙 I didn't get anything other than the Sertraline. Ive been taking herbal tablets but they aren't working. Its 2am where i am and im watching TV trying to relax but i know I will wake with a panic attack and that is so scary xx

• Posted

Hi guys ,,. What you're experiencing if unfortuneately the side effects of Sertraline

With the increase in serotonin our brain receptors have been docile or asleep for a time and the drug is awakening them and thus can take a few weeks or more.. This is a good drug and try telling yourself that it is the Sertraline making you feel the way you do... I have been exactly where you are.. take care and if you need to chat We are all here for each other .. I'm in the same time zone as you Nicola

• Posted

Hi Charlie, thank you for replying. Its good to hear that its a good drug as i was beginning to worry. Im so glad I've found other people with the same experiences and im not alone. I managed to get a few hours sleep and woke again with a panic attack that im managing right now. How long did the attacks last for you? I hope i don't wake you Charlie xx

• Posted

Where do you live im in Wales UK?!

Starting these type of medications can increase anxiety at first although everyone responds to them differently. People can suffer many side effects.

Try watching youtube videos for panic attacks, mindfullness or breathing/meditation.

Be kind to yourself allow yourself to recover and remember this is just a phase you will get through this!!

Katie

• Posted

Hi Pam. I am another one of the sertraline sufferers.  Yes, my dr gave small dose valiumwhich helps my sleep but i am waking up with not only the side effects but still very depressed and questioning if this med is worth the trying as it may not work.   I seemed to be 'better' before i took it, not that my life is tenable at present anyway.  I also wonder if you or anyone here can comment on other meds, I have tried lofepramine, duloxetine, mirtazapine and my body just cannot tolerate the side effects. Can i ask what dose you are on now and hiw long you have been taking it?  Keep going as they all say and stay strong, all will be well.

• Posted

I started on 100 mg at the beginning of October and four weeks later up to 150mg and 3 days ago I was increased to 200 mg
    • Posted

Hey Pam! Not heard from you for a while...how are you doing? Xx
  • Posted

Hi there, I too am on second week of sertraline and having all sorts of problems.  Do you only have panic attacks each day or do you get all the others (nausea,agitation,depression etc)?    Know it is so difficult to get through each day but everyone who has commented seems to saynthe same, hold on there and keep going.  My dr has given me diazepam to take at night which to give a better sleep.  Not a good drug to rely on long term but it might help to ask so you can cope meantime. All comments i have had on this site have ultimately seen improvement, mine just hasnt come yet so like you we wait it out.
    • Posted

Hi Ann. I also have depression, agitation, im sick most morminhs, teeth clenching and shaking. I also cant leave my house this week so things are really bad. But like you said everyone seems to end up alot better, im just not sure i can stick it out as the panic disorder for me is the absolute worst. I don't have any diazepam I've just been taken Kalms but they don't seem to help. Its so nice having people to talk to that understand isn't it xx

• Posted

Hi Nicola, so nice to hear from someone going through the same problems. We seem to be at a similar stage so it will be good to keep posting and see how we get on with this awful med.   i just cant believe how bad I feel on top of the original symptoms which took me to the dr in the first place.

i suppose all we can do is wait,,be patient (not easy), and each day that passes is one day closer to some respite from all of this.

Do you manage to accomplish anything in the day?

I seem to have no inclination to do anything, i used to be so happy to keep house, cook meals etc.  Havent been near oven for months now as no appetite.   Is this med going to fix motivation - if anybody knows an answer please let me know.

• Posted

I totally agree, i have never felt so bad so keep thinking maybe they are doing me harm? But im hoping that's just my panic disorder making me feel this. And no i don't get anything done at all. I only get a few hours sleep then wake early and have constant panic attacks till around late afternoon then im so exhausted i cant get the motivation to get out of bed. It would be nice to see the light at the end of the tunnel but i just cant see it. I hope we can stay in touch as you said we are at the same stage in this xx

• Posted

Hi Ann ,, Although it's far from easy do try to get outdoors and if not for a walk just to sit in the air and breathe for 5 minutes . One step at a time .. After a time I did feel motivated but we must learn to like ourselves again and baby steps is what I take. Where all others are concerned I'm a leader and have no problem with talking to 1000 people in a room and organize charity dance competitions etc.. It's a contradiction to my illness and the mask is worn on those occasions,,I'm fed up wearing the mask now and hence I sought help and we gotta believe we will get there.. I practice mindfulness and live in the moment and when I feel my mind racing ,, questioning ., and have that dreadful stomach wrenching feeling I try to take deep breaths ,, and live in the now .... It's not easy that's why special people like us are given this cross to carry

• Posted

Hi Ann, yes! You will get motivated, you will smile, and laugh again, and maybe down the line, crack a joke or two. You will get your appetite and sleep back. Take it from me, started again 100mg on nov 19, wanted to kill myself, had to work up the strength to take a shower cuz you could fry an egg from the grease in my hair, and I am about to head out to work now. Not perfect, but not going mad, still healing but functional.

This illness will take every last bit of strength you got but stay strong but be gentle with yourself at the same time and never give up hope. Hang in there, it will get better with time. Keep the faith. 

Xx, servant 

• Posted

Hi Ann, not seen any posts from you for a while...how are you getting on? Xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.