Sleep

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi everyone. Had THR on Dec. 7. I am generally doing well. Better every day. Walking with other one cane and walk without especially in morning. By the come afternoon I as am tired as ND b 840 completely done. I wake up 2 to 3 times a night tty as ND up at 6 most mornings. Does anyone else have this tiredness?

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi there,

Welcome to the world of post THR.  I think everyone has sleeping problems in the first few weeks.  Grab sleep when and where you can and don't expect a full night's sleep for a while.  I promise it will get better.

Cels x

• Posted

Hi it's very normal at this early stage to be tired after doing just a small amount of excercise , it takes a whole year for the body to recover completely, the post op hippies told me to

Listen to my body and you can't go wrong

I am 5 months post op and still go for a nap in the day , good luck .

• Posted

Hello, I think everyone has a problem with sleeping in first few

weeks. I wake up every two hours during the night, and I was

very tired during the day as well. Morning get it went for a walk ,did seme excesice and this is needed rest. You are in early stage

and you need rest your body will tell you. It's very big and brutal operation and you body need to heel.. im over 3 months after

LHR and still not sleeping very well. It will get better with time.

Rest when are you tired ,that rest is part of heeling as well.

Take care

Hug Madla

• Posted

hi saltspringer 

I apologize for not being too familiar with the abbrevationsredface

You had major surgery on Dec.07 which is not too long ago - the surgery onvolved big manipulation, brutal dislocation of hip joint, cutting femur, new hardware fitted and hammered in etc....

Your body went through some trauma here and is working hard to repair the damage done, and this takes a lot of energy ... 

No wonder that you tire so easily - it is normal ...

rest, nap and sleep whenever your body needs to ...

Normal rythm will return though ... just go with your body's flow 

big warm hug

renee

• Posted

Hi Saltspringer,

As others have said it is par for the course. I still remember mine nearly 16 months ago now, and sleep depravation. Hated having to be on my back, got lots of back pain, woke up numberous times. Every afternoon though i was told to go to bed for 2 hours, initially I slept whole 2 hours, and then I used to have an hours doze and read or watch the T.V. This helped immensly and also got rid of a lot of fluid we retain after the op. Always woke up to needing to go to the loo. 

In the end during the night i gave up and sat myself up and read till I felt tired again. 

It will get better. You are doing really well. Have an afternoon snooze x

• Posted

Happy to hear that you are doing wellsmile  Remember, the recovery will be slow.  Don't expect too much too soon.  Listen to your doctor and make sure that you do plenty of PT.  It's been 6 months for me now, so I'm half way there to full recovery. 

• Posted

I used to wake during nt and sleep /nap during day. I'm 8 mths p.o. now, and still need a nap in evening. I never used to nap before my operation, so, it's either effects of my operation or an age thing. Whatever it is if I'm tired I'll sleep. You need todo the same, and enjoy it.

Regards Brenda xx

• Posted

Hi,Michelle here..This is my third joint replacement and I have got to tell you I have had sleep disturbances with each joint replacement.It gets better .Might try a mixture of valarian and or chamomile tea.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.