feeling low is this insomnia or something else? :( extremely light sleep and dreams.

Posted , 6 users are following.

hi,

for the past two weeks i been suffering from sleeping problems

i don't get the dozing off feeling anymore and if i do sleep at night it feels extremely light. i also remember every dream i have and wake up 1-2 hours.

i'm not sure is this is due to stress or anxiety but before this i dealt with almost 2 months of a viral infection with a sore throat that wouldn't go away and they ran all tests they could do and told me to just let it ran it's course and now i'm sufferring with insomnia when i should be sleeping to make my immune system stronger after this virus.

my question is can anxiety or stress cause this type of sleeping problem has anyone suffered from this ????

i'm starting to grow scare pls help

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Yes, anxiety can indeed cause your sleeping problem, as can the after-effects of a virus. Don't worry about what you perceive as poor sleep having an effect on your immune system. You'll be fine.

I'm also wondering whether you're still quite young - teens or early-mid 20s. This is the time of life when many of us transition from our childhood sleeping patterns to an adult pattern.

t's actually quite normal to wake, either partially or fully, after every sleep cycle, which lasts an average one-and-a-half hours. Some people - particularly in childhood - are totally unaware of this, whereas some of us wake completely after every cycle and then go straight back to sleep.

Dream recall varies widely between individuals too. Some people swear they never dream, though if you put them in a sleep lab and wake them during the REM (dreaming) phase of a sleep cycle, they'll be able to describe their dream. Some of us, however, wake every morning with a head full of dreams - even if we can't remember them by the time we've had our first cup of tea!

There's absolutely no need to be scared of this.

• Posted

The thing is I normally sleep 7-8 hrs and recall a dream here and there . I normally just wake up once a night . However , this time I can't fall asleep and if I do it's extremely light with so many dreams and I'm waking up every hour .

I'm 27 by the way. I was sleeping just fine until one bad night turn this into a mess and now o get anxious to head to bed

• Posted

My sleep pattern changed entirely (and irreversibly) when I was 25, partly as the result of having to work a completely unreasonable shift system for a year or so. I'm 72 now, so it clearly hasn't done me any harm.

However, you give a clue when you say that one bad night set this off. This is a common story. Once you get anxious about sleeping, you develop a kind of phobia about bedtime, as you say. Once my sleep got disrupted by my work schedule, the same thing started happening to me.

There's a guy called bemmeh who sometimes posts on these boards. A few months ago he gave the best bit of advice I've ever heard. I wish he'd been around 45 years ago! He gave me permission to quote him whenever I felt it was useful, so here goes.

Partial quote from bemmeh's post:

...The moment I stopped struggling against insomnia it simply started going away, though not suddenly. It took quite a while. But the improvement was real from the start. Insomnia is not a thing in itself. The ability to sleep is so strong among us, humans or animals in general, that it is almost impossible to seriously alter it. Insomnia in us humans appears when we TRY (and therefore struggle) to sleep. You just need to stop doing all the things you are doing FOR sleeping and let your body and mind do whatever they want - if you sleep it's OK but if you don't, that's OK too (everybody has bad sleep for all kinds of reasons once in a while). When sleep time comes just go to bed, close your eyes, and rest. Don't TRY to sleep, as you are used to do. Just rest! If sleep comes that's OK, if it doesn't that's OK too, you haven't been very successful in getting the amount and quality of sleep you have desired anyway - that's why you call yourself an insomniac. So why keep on trying/desiring? Just let it go. Accept your reality and move on to the things in life you can control over. Sleep is not something we can control. You just need to trust your body and mind for it and stop trying to do anything whatsoever for it. Good luck!

Unquote.

• Posted

I know I have to accept this it's just insomnia and not to give it any power but after having a virus for two months it took a toll on my emotions :,( . I would use sleep to forget how bad I felt fighting something no doctor could tell me what it was . Now I'm dealing with insomnia when I feel like I don't even have the energy to deal with it . I know insomnia is all mental and everywhere I look online all I see is sporadic fatal insomnia or chronic insomnia . I try to steer away from stuff like that and try to tell me self it'll pass but I'm just scared .

I'm also scared to get hooked up benzodiazepines when sleep

Should be something natural

• Posted

I wish it was easy to rid myself of insomnia and just close my eye and get some good deep sleep . That is a really good quote I know I'm feeding into the problem but I just don't know how to win. I think fighting a 2 month virus and then after getting insomnia just sent me into a horrible spiral sad

• Posted

Not sure why my other post is pending .

I think I have a fear that I'll never get any deep sleep and this insomnia is going to consume me ..

• Posted

Karlip, I'll send you a private message via this site. PMs don't carry viruses or reveal the ID of either party.

• Posted

Hi I wanted I two have been for the past two months with insomnia and I'm freaking out . I have a two year and a 6 years old and I need to get some sleep in scared this will never get bettered.

• Posted

Hi Karlipo, are you still experiencing this dreaming problem because i been dealing with it for like 9 months now and it sucks. i go to bed and seems like 3-4 hours later i wake up from a dream. Then i go back to bed and its vivid dreams nonstop every two hours after that. When i get up in morning my eyes are so exhausted/sore/tired. I don't really know how to explain the eye feeling but maybe you can relate. I'm glad i'm finding people on this site with similar problems to mine and hope you have found some kind of cure to this problem. Looking forward to hearing from you soon!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.