At wits end

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi I am worried about my husband who is 61 and has been suffering from awful continual pain that varies in levels. The pain is in right uppet quadrant and radiates to the back. There does not seem to be any pain relief as we have tried everything. He also suffers terrible bloating and gas. The doctor gave him a ultra sound nearly a year ago and confirmed there was gallstones. However these symptoms are now everyday without any resbite and he is totally worn out. He is going for another scan on Saturday and we have told the doctor to just take it out. As anyone else has this continual gnawing pain?

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Hi Belinda

?Just had my gb out and did have a year on the waiting list with a host of symptoms including bloating and upper GI pain that was almost constant. It settled to a lower level of intensity after the initial flares but was uncomfortble all the time. I had many gallstones and had them years before it went so bad.

Surgery was not so bad athough I don't know how I will feel when fully healed, but I'd agree that once it gets to this stage, the only recourse is surgery as mine did not heal in all that time avoiding fats and only eating bland food etc. Best wishes.

• Posted

Hi Cynthia, thanks for getting back. You have also had a painful time with this gallbladder problem. Did you find any pain medication that eased the pain. awae have tried Paracetamol,co-codamol and tramadol but these did not work. I really hopeeverything goes ok for you now that dratted gallbladder has been removed. Best wishes.
    • Posted

Hi Belinda,

?I think when the pain is worst, not much helps. Some people go to A & E and get iv pain relief or are prescribed opiates, though I am not good with pain meds so I tend to avoid them unless desperate. Our GP are not keen on prescribing anyway. I had iv paracetamol in the A & E and it was better than the usual version. I also used to take buscopan for the cramp and use a heat pad and drink apple juice with a splash of cider vinegar to allay symptoms. I am not sure how the latter works but many sufferers swear by it. In any case, be careful of meds with codeine for gallbladder pain as it can make things worse for some folk.

I am feeling better day by day, thanks, especially now I am getting over a chest infection post op.

?Continual pain can mean a stone stuck somewhere and inflammation or infection, but I imagine they will test your husband's blood to rule this out. I did not have any infections according to blood tests but certainly felt really unwell.

?I hope your husband soon has a date to have the gb removed and feels better, let us know it goes.

• Posted

Hi Cynthia, I am making sure he doesn't have anymore codiene as he also has IBS so codiene can be a bit constipating. The hot water bottle helps a little and I will try him with apple juice and cider vinegar.He is going for a ultra sound today at 2pm. Poor love can't eat or drink anythink, he'll be climbing the walls by 2 for something to eat. Hurry up and get better.

Belinda.

• Posted

The same thing happened to me so they took my gallbladder out. Unfortunately I still have the pain and have been Doctor to Doctor to Doctor. None have helped. I have to take 9 tramadol a day. Make 100% sure that's it's the GB before letting them remove it. Best of luck

• Posted

Blimey Patricia you took 9 Tramadol a day and they didn,t work. It didn,t work for my husband either. I hope the doctors have sorted your problem out. Take care.

• Posted

3 tramadol at a time 3 times a day are helping but they are just masking my pain which I know is not normal.
    • Posted

Hi Patricia, what does the Dr say about all that pain that you are experiecing after you had your gallbladder removed. It does not appear fair that you went through all that pain prior and now post gallbladder op. Keep your chin up.
    • Posted

Hi Belinda

They thought I had a sphincter of Oddi issue so I went and had that surgery. Turns out that wasn't what it was .

• Posted

Than I suffered some more. Went to Mayo clinic. They diagnosed me with thoracic pain. I followed up with a pain clinic per Mayo and had a nerve block 2 epidurals and 20 physical therapy appointments. That didn't work. They sent me to an orthopedic surgeon . MRI and CT scan showed that I DONT have a thoracic issue . That Doctor told me to go back to the surgeon who took my gallbladder out. I went to him and he was awful. Arrogant . Try to say that maybe I had shingles on my back and because you can't see your back I didn't know I had them. How crazy for a doctor to say that. The only way for me not to suffer in so much pain is 3 tramadol 3x's a day. I am going to see an interneist on Wednesday.

• Posted

Patricia, you have suffered, and it doesn't help when the doctors are arrogant and appear unsympathetic. At the end of the day the doctors if they themselves were suffering they would expect something to be sorted out pretty damn quick. I really hope they sort this out for you very soon and for you to be pain free. Good look on Wednesday.

• Posted

Yes the gallbladder needs to be out, removed.

Get your husband on the list for this operation end of story.

Good luck with it all

Take care and keep in touch

Sarah

• Posted

Hi Sarah, don't worry about that, it,s definately coming outbiggrin  The damn thing is more trouble than it's worth.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.