Vagifem before repeat anterior repair

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi ladies,

I am waiting for my repair and started vagifem in august last year. I want to know the positive benefits of vagifem before Surgery. Will it strengthen the tissues before surgery and will it help overall with the repair holding better than ifbi hadn't been taking it.Iwish I'd know before ththe first one rather than after,doesn't make sense why he told me to take it after the op..

Thank goodness for my consultant :-)

1 like, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

As you know Vagifem is a hormone. It's difficult to know just how effective it is prior to prolapse repair in the short term. It is thought it will take months before it will have any effect because it's a small dose. I am prescribed it along with oral HRT, that is the most effective way. If your surgery is in the next couple of months I don't honestly think it will make much difference x

• Posted

It will be about 7months of use matron.won't that of helped by then?x

• Posted

7 months should be a reasonable time and you need to continue using it afterwards, I do.
    • Posted

Thanks matron, ii forgit to ask when do I stop using it beforehand and then when do I continue after surgery? Does it improve the tissues? X
    • Posted

It's up to your urogynaecologist as to when you stop using it because they have their own ideas about that. It is supposed to strengthen the lining of the vaginal wall because as we get older and become menopausal the lining atrophies (thinner) however there is some research that shows in some women this doesn't happen and oral HRT would help. My vaginal wall was very thin according to my urogynaecologist but I don't know what condition it was in 5 months later, I didn't think to ask but I'm still prescribed it.

• Posted

OK thankyou matron.I lol ask when I'm ready to go in.. I've ghghot my smear next week. Not looking forward to that lol.😕

• Posted

Ooops, just asked Welshgirl what vagifem was. I'd like your input on my reply to her, too, if you don't mind.

My reply to her:

"?What is Vagifem? I'm using Estrace Vaginal Cream twice a week plus Evamist topical spray daily and using Kegel Beads (Luna Beads) for PF muscle strengthening."  

• Posted

Vagifem (and there are other products the same only a different name) is a hormone that will hopefully help thicken the lining of the vagina. The cream you're using is a similar product and will do the same thing. To be honest although cream can be a bit messy I think it is more effective and would ask for that if I wasn't on HRT. Everything you are using will help x

• Posted

Can you explain why the cream is more effective matron? My doctor told me the cream is weaker but does the same thing? So much different information, us ladies get really confused😖😁

• Posted

Personally I prefer the cream because it absorbs more and I just think you can make sure it's spread consistently 

• Posted

Hello again welshgirl. I meant to say my urogynaecologist prescribed me Vagifem in the February and had my surgery in the July. He seemed to think that was the ideal time for the Vagifem to help to protect the repair.
  • Posted

What is Vagifem? I'm using Estrace Vaginal Cream twice a week plus Evamist topical spray daily and using Kegel Beads (Luna Beads) for PF muscle strengthening.  

• Posted

Its a topical estrogen. Like a a small prsssry in the vagina twice weekly. Like the cream but less messy and easier to apply. Plumps up the vsginal tissues which is what us post menopause ladies need😊x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.