Use the same lab for your bloodwork if possible

Posted , 5 users are following.

Last week I realized I waited too long to get my bloodwork done before seeing the reumy last Friday so I went to a different lab that has a faster turnover rate for results but  is further from my home. My usual SED rate is 2 and it was 10 on Friday. My reumy had me go to my regular lab Friday, after our visit, to double check the results. Got a call from my doc. The SED hadn't changed - still 2. Not all labs do the tests or report them the same way. In the future I will try to stay consistant.   Jan

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I'm sure i've read somewhere that SED rate should be checked asap as the results become inaccurate the longer the blood sits around.  I wonder if your "faster turnover rate" lab was more accurate?  Still, I suppose if one is just keeping an eye on relative changes it doesn't matter.  And in any case 10 is still nice and low.  Mine has never gone below 16, usually around 19, and my doctor is not at all concerned as she says this is very good "for my age".  Sigh.  

• Posted

All labs will differ slightly - despite things being automated there is still some variation. But it is something that doesn't apply in the UK and the rest of Europe - it isn't your choice where it goes!

• Posted

Same here.  My only choice is which hospital I go to to have the blood taken.  I assume all the samples end up in the same centralized lab for testing.
  • Posted

an appointment for Dexascan a year after first. Operator suggested I should have gone to same place as previously. I expected some variation due to the machine so wasn't overly concerned. Main issue seemed to be that the computer associated with the machine kept the records so previous test record wasn't available at a different branch of same company.

Rhetorically - "which one should I choose next time?".

• Posted

You can only compare results directly if they were done on the same machine. On the other hand - every machine will give you a realtive result which is probably all that matters.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.