Pain in sternum, weight loss.

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi, I suffer badly with GERD and am having symptoms of pain in sternum between breasts, sore chest and throat, feel the need to cough a lot.  No bleeding, no sickness, no problem eating apart from bread sometimes getting stuck  Had an endoscopy last January which showed nothing, all clear, could something have grown that quickly. My worry is that early December 2016 I had a DVT which they said could be being caused my cancer, when I said I had started HRT 10 months ago, immediately said it could be that and to come of HRT straight away.  Since the DVT I have lost 8lbs in a month, I am overweight so have some to lose, but am now worried it is cancer and not coming off HRT that is causing weight loss.  My bloods were all ok, although CRP up but that was due to DVT.  I have an appointment with GP but not for 3 weeks, does cancer feel like this, with no bleeding and no sickness just what feels like irritation or could it just be my GERD playing up. 

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

You have had an endoscopy which is probably the most important thing, and they are very rarely required in short succession.

Pains in the chest should not ignored so it is best to consult your doctor.

​It is not inconsistent with heartburn caused by acid reflux, so I think I would try something like Gaviscon, an over-the-counter remedy that is an alginate, in that it creates a protective raft against the reflux, and see if that makes a difference.   You can take Gaviscon in addition to any existing medication for GORD.

​Being overweight can be a cuase of reflux, and for a number of health reasons, achieving a good healthy weight is important.

• Posted

Hi thanks for reply, I have had every test going for chest pain and nothing shows, but did say I had costocondritis as well. It is the pain in the centre of the chest that is so annoying it feels sort of rough like when you have a chest infection and have coughed a lot, which I have not.  Out of desperation I brought some Gaviscon and it did take the edge off, but back again so will take more later.  How often do you need endoscopy as my last one was about 11 months ago?
    • Posted

I think there is not a definitive answer to that one.   I wonder whether some of the chest pain and coughing is caused by the reflux?   I think I would ask for a referral (again?) to a gastroenterologist, and meanwhile keep experimenting with various forms of Gaviscon or alternatives that your GP or pharmacist might recommend.

​Try sleeping propped up in bed at night and avoid eating later in the evening.   You may need to consider ways of avoiding the reflux seeping into your lungs, which this might help with a bit.

• Posted

I have had the same type of pain in the center of my chest as well.  Doctors told me I have GERD.  I am guilty of acid reflux almost my whole 40 years.  XRay showed nothing looking at my lungs and chest.  Going in for an endoscopy on 2 weeks.  Dreading what hey will find.  I have not had any coughing,  bloody mucus, breathing problems, dizziness or anything.  Just this almost constant stinging and dull pinching pain for about a month and half.  Passed their pulminary breathing tests without difficulty or pain.  Started since Christmas of 2016.  If that werent bad enough now I've noticed weight loss about ten pounds in one month eating the same quanities and same types of foods even though I shouldnt be.  Never had any health issues before nothing that lasted a month and a half and wont heal or go away.  I spent the last month with doctors trying to figure out what this is.  The gastro doctor looked at me crazy and said I should have my heart looked at but agreed to do an endoscopy anyways thank god.  Its been a mystery for me as well and hopefully the endoscopy shows something for the $550.00 I will be spending on it.  Any other insight in you case would be helpfull or detailed specfic info about pain location and duration.  If you have any question feel free to email or post.  I will keep you posted thank you.

• Posted

Hi, do not worry about endoscopy, make sure you are sedated though.  I had one last year and was in agony but they found nothing.  I have really bad pain and have upped my esomeprazole to 40mg and it does seem to be easing.  It could be gastritis as the stinging seems worse after food.  It can be there all day or just go from left to centre to right and stop, my GP has given me some antibiotics to try and see if that helps. I have not lost any weight, but do have dizziness and really bad palpitations.  I am 57 and have suffered with IBS since 15 and GERD for at least 10 years.  Have been on PPI for so long, maybe they need changing.  Good luck with your endoscopy let me know how you get on and I will update you after anti b's finished.  Take care

• Posted

Severe anxienty like this could cause weight loss too.  I thinking it might be my case as well.  I have all the same symptoms.  I can swallow just fine and over the last few days it has lightened up a bit.  Anti biotic did help the most 5 day zpak about a month ago.  Came back after I iritated it a bit at work with smoke.  Probabaly woud've been fine otherwise I don't know.  They say acid from the stomach go under the radar for years and wastes away the esophegus.  The times you notice the heart burn is when it's extreme.  Lucky us...: (  I think most people with esophegal cancer first complain they cant swallow without pain. These people are losing weight mostly due to painfull eating.  Even these could just be non cancerous as well according to my gastro doctor.  Palups are another culprit that could cause pain in the esophegus.  Remember esophegal cancer is still a very rare disease even with all the crap everyones eating nowadays.  Good luck I'll keep you posted.  Thanks.

• Posted

Hi why where you in agony over the endoscopy?  I was concerned they would distrupt the healing taking place and make things worse than before because of rubbing or taking tissue from it.  I even asked if they prescribe pain meds and they said probably not.  Are they outs there minds?  Tylenol and ibruprofil arent goning to cut it.  Any in sight would be helpful.. Thsnk you  :  )
    • Posted

Hi, sorry what I meant was I was in pain with acid and reflux and expected them to see the damage being done during the endoscopy but they did not, they said it was all clear and said there was no reason for my pain as there was no acid. I was sedated as I had one before with just the throat spray and my gag reflex is really strong so could not stand the tube going in, the 2nd time sedated I felt nothing.  The tube is so thin that I do not think it would do any damage and I was not in pain afterwards just pleased that they found nothing.
  • Posted

Really strange they would find nothing when ant acids help your burning.  Ever try a CT scan?  Fibre Milosa maybe?  I'm sure the endoscopy results where a huge relief though.  I'm hoping that phone call with the results is a good one otherwise I'm doomed.  You shouldnt need another one.  Especially if you've been treating with meds during this time.  The destruction occurs under the radar for years and we end up here.  Probably wouldnt hurt though to have another one hence second opinion.  Good luck!

• Posted

I am not sure about this, but I do not think that an endoscopy necessarily shows acid reflux unless the signs of it are visible in the form of Barrett's Oesophagus or something else that changes the colour of the lining through soreness etc.

?There are tests for how acid / alkali your saliva is, and this might be another approach?

• Posted

Hi Alan, that is what they said to me there were no red patches so that was good as there was no erosion.  He said if the acid was visible they could remove it but he could not see any.  I have been on esomeprazole for 10 years now and 20mg usually maintains it. I saw my GP last week who gave me antibiotics for gastritis and they are working which is great.
  • Posted

hello everyone. i hope all you are well. I'm struggling too with pain in stenrum at the center and little right. I have pain when I swallow and I eat. with food more. at first it was bad and then when I got to doctor he gave me meds. I fell better but the pain is still there. not always but it's there. I had an endoscopy 3years ago. doc said I don't need another one. that it's my anxiety. I'm so afraid. I had also heartburn really bad and gastritis but it's better now. the thing is that everything I read for pain while eating is saing cancer.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.