Weird side effects on ven?

Posted , 3 users are following.

So I've been taking 75mg of riva venlafaxine for 4 weeks daily now and over the last weeks I've experienced a number of weird side effects. Insomnia is the most annoying one, but I also have a weird sensation of fullness in my ears and i feel dizzy almost 24/7. I've also gotten numerous panic attacks. Some mild and some really bad ones aswell. But the most interesting side effect seems to be parasthesia in my outter thigh which started two weeks into me taking the medication. has anyone experienced side effects like this? I am going insane because I start googling symptoms and I convince myself I have crazy neurological diseases and start panicing again! Please help.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I experienced paresthesia in my right shoulder and neck after being on venlafaxine for over a year. It lasted about three months and then went away. I do have high cholesterol levels, that my doctor is monitoring. It is gradually going down. I have been happier and sleeping better than I have in years. I also take mirtazapone.
    • Posted

Thank you very much for replying! It eases my mind to know that it is a possible symptom. I'm going to see my Doctor tomorrow to ask if I can actually get an MRI because of the anxiety I have. All the best to you sir!

• Posted

Paresthesia, feeling dizzy and ear fullness are all related to tension you are holding on to more than the ven itself. Deep tissue massage will help prompt your muscles to relax and should ease symptoms after a couple of sessions. It should start at the base of skull through shoulders (attention to edges around shoulder blades and upper back for dizziness and head and ear pressure. Obviously then, the full length of the sides of the spine, lower back and limbs for paresthesia in limbs.

What time do you take ven and is it immediate or extended release?

• Posted

It just started randomly as I was sitting in class (I'm talking about the parasthesia.) The doc says it could also be from sitting or sleeping one side for too long. But apparently ven can make that happen aswell. Or anxiety. There is a world of possibilities for the symptoms you can get from med's and anxiety and its often very different from person to person. So to all those that assume illness because of 2-3 symptoms no matter how weird it doesn't mean a thing. Until your doctor/gp says its something to worry about.

• Posted

haha yes well...anxiety makes it difficult to know what is worth worrying about and what not.

The reason i was asking about the time you take your medicine was related to your insomnia. Ven should be taken no later than 15:00h otherwise it can cause prolonged sleep disturbances. Although, for some patients insomnia is unavoidable for a while with ven.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.