Infection

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi I was diagnosed in November with stage 3b CKD my GFR has been 36, re, 32 and now 40 I've had several infections and antibiotics, last lot just before Xmas I am sure I've got infection again feeling ill today, will talk to dr tomorrow. I wanted to ask a couple of things, 1. How much impact does infection have on function you have left and 2. What symptoms do people have at my stage with or without infection. 

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Jan,

I'm also 3b, last GFR was 43, it's been as low as 15 last year due to an allergic reaction to antibiotics that I was given for constant uti's, it started to rise with the help of steroids but my baseline is 40 now, it had got up to 52 once for a short time, I often feel nauseous, I'm always cold and I tire a lot quicker than I used to, something that I've only started to notice since September is that I seem to have the runs every three weeks or so which lasts for about two days and really Knocks me off my feet, I don't know if this is anything to do with my kidneys but I never used to have it before, I'm seeing my nephrologist next week so I'm going to ask him about it, when I have the runs, I shake and feel quite rough, and then all of a sudden I'm right as rain, I drink about 4 litres a day which has really helped with the uti's 😊

• Posted

Never heard of runs being a symptom...I'm stage 5 so I should know by now. Nausea yes...this gradually got worse as my Gfr dropped and it's directly linked to raised waste in your blood stream as well as tiredness. I found diet to help a lot before I started dialysis... Lowered my protein and increased my fruits n veg and juicing.

• Posted

I've cut out most meat Jon, cut down on cheese, dairy, cut salt out, no alcohol, maybe the runs are nothing to do with the kidneys and I'm picking bugs up, I will let you know what the nephrologist says next week

• Posted

Hi, I hope you get the latest infection sorted. I was diagnosed 17yrars ago with stage 3. I have had several infections and luckily so far this has had no impact on my kidney function but unfortunately everyone is different so it's not something you can measure. I don't have any symptoms at all on a day to day basis and it is being controlled with medication. I would suggest you seek further advice and help preventing/ fighting infections and why you're getting them so frequently. I personally find that if I think I'm getting an infection I start to drink cranberry juice and don't wait, I go straight to medical centre and ask them to check, so it can be fought off before it gets worse.

• Posted

Hi Jan,

You need to check that you are not anaemic if you have lots of infections.  One thng that happens when you are at 3b is that you are more prone to infection because your Hb is lower.  At your stage, I had no symptoms apart from tiedness and anaemia.  I take iron, and also vitamin B12 injections and folic cid.  Your GP will check these and tell you whether your levels are low. I have had far fewer infections sine I controlled my anaemia this way. With luck your CKD will progress quite slowly if you control your blood pressure, too. Good luck!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.