Please help as I am new to this! Hyperthyroidism and going nuts!

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi. I am 49 years old. When I started going through menopause I started getting horrible swelling and all of these blood sugar issues that cannot be controlled. I have been to 3 endocronologists and all 3 think it is anxiety. I do not. I think it is a thyroid problem. My symptoms are:

A very large thyroid nodule

Severe hypoglycemia

Severe Depression

Severe Panic

Dry itchy skin that just flakes off everywhere

Hair falling out

Can't sleep

Decreased libido

Retain fluid easily

Freezingggg cold or way too hot

Blurry vision

Tingling fingers

The first endo said it was prediabetes but my blood sugar never goes over 95. Never.

The second thought it was anxiety.

The third thinks it is anxiety or other things. 

What I find that is odd is that no matter what I eat I cannot get the hypoglycemia under control. My last endo upped my carbs to 120. As soon as I started eating that many I was lethargic and crazy. I started getting thirstier and peeing even more and yet the more salt and carbs I consume the more weight I lose! Something doesn't add up. I am literally at my wits end with all these Dr's that can't get together and instead just keep telling me I'm anxious. I have tried every sleep aid and every anti anxiety med there is and none help. 

Here is what I want to know.......

If you are hyperthyroid what symptoms do you have? And, can you please tell me how much sodium you consume? Tell me what carbs you eat or don't eat. Please tell me anything you can. I am so depressed and giving up hope. I have a good ENT and will be calling him tomorrow. I am wondering if the lab results I had a year ago made my thyroid look normal because I wasn't eating salt or many carbs???

Please help me any way you can. I am pretty much housebound now. I know myself and I am a fighter and this is not me! 

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Has the nodule been biopsied?  I know menopausal symptoms can be very severe with hot flashes and cold etc and no control over them.  If thyroid is a problem baseline thyroid tests like TSH, Free T3 and Free T4 should be done to document where you are at with your thyroid.  Also, adrenal issues often mimic thyroid problems.

As far as the menopause goes, I tolerated the symptoms for 3 weeks and then I got a prescription for bioidentical hormones.  Stopped the symptoms right away.  

I also suffer from hypoglycemia if I do not eat carbs and I am considered pre-diabetic and have been for years.  I am not a big salt eater.  With this (called metabolic syndrome) I did develop hypertension as well.  How is your blood pressure?

Sorry if I have not been much help.  All of your conditions can be contributing to your symptoms, your thyroid nodule, menopause and possible metabolic syndrome.  But at least you can rule out thyroid causes by the thyroid tests.

• Posted

My blood pressure is always low. My blood sugar never goes over 95 unless I eat loads of carbs. My fasting blood sugar is 70. I asked this third endo to do a thyroid test and he said he would in 6 weeks when I see him! He is the best one I've seen so far but it's like I can't get help. I have tried every hormone replacement and nothing works. I tried more estrogen, less, etc. and I feel miserable. I know thyroid is related to hormones and that a lot of women deal with it at menopause. So tired though of not having an answer. Thank!

• Posted

Have you tried the Paleo way of eating HopeAgain? smile.

• Posted

Go onto thyroid uk website there are lists of symptoms for hyper and hypo thyroid- if you can try and see a different GP show them the lists on your iPhone if you have one - it looks to me like you are hypo not hyper but I am not a doc and neither is anyone on this site we can only advise NOT diagnose. Hope you have answers soon. 😁

• Posted

I know you can't diagnose smile Was just looking for some info that might help me in the mean time. Thanks!

• Posted

Sounds like I've upset you but I didn't mean to there are some people who do expect you to diagnose their symptoms so have to make it clear we can't. I really am genuine in hoping you get answers to the probs you have - menopause is not a good thing to go through - (been there done it) but coupled with probs you are having it doubles the anxiety and worries which aren't going to help your situation. 😁

• Posted

No. I wasn't upset at all smile Thanks! Yeah, I'm thinking I might ask a different Dr. smile

• Posted

Just go to your GP and ask them to test your thyroid. I had much better response from my GP than my endo. Good luck.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.