Physio???

Posted , 18 users are following.

I've been discharged from hospital with no physio just a sheet of exersizes to do 3x a day. Is this a usual procedure?

When i questioned the nurse she said it was and they only give you physio if you are going back to an intense sport etc.

2 likes, 39 replies

39 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Are you in GB? I had double hip replacements 5 months ago.  Physio started in the hospital before discharge with various physiotherapy methods ever since.
    • Posted

Yes im in herfortshire.i did 2 days of physio in hosp but thats it.
    • Posted

As someone said further down the thread, the regions

are different.  I live in Wales and haven't stopped weekly physiotherapy, sometimes twice weekly especially early on, including hydro therapy.  It does seem terribly unfair.  I'd ask your GP for a Physio referral.  Good luck with everything!

• Posted

Hi Kel. I couldnt agree more. In fact had just said the very same thing to my hisband!

I am 10 weeks post op today & about to go to my last physio appt this afternoon. Like you i was given a sheet of exercises, & have had 3 appts since Nov. (NW UK private health)

I asked my GP for ab extension & ive been referred for NHS physio starting in 2 weeks. I cant understand why they do these expensive operations but dont encourage you to become more active post op. Im very keen to regain total mobility asap as I lead a busy life.

Good luck with your progress!

• Posted

Hi Kel.  At my age I'm not involved in any extreme sports but I cartainly had 3 sessions of physio between my surgery & my 6 week post op appointment.  It may well all depend on the hospital/which part of the UK you live in though.  I've spoken to a number of people around the UK who've had the surgery & things do vary depending on location.  Where are you situated?  Best of success to you with your recovery.  Ray

• Posted

Hi yes I'm the same had my op 4 weeks ago and was sent home with a sheet of paper with exercises on, I asked about Physio and they said I'd have to pay for it as I had my surgery in the Nuffield hospital which is private though I'm Nhs and they take Nhs patients.

Reading these forums people get different things I'm seeing my surgeon end of the month for my 6 week check I really wavy to know if I can start swimming.

Are you in the U.K.?

Xxx

• Posted

Hi Kel sorry to ask how old are you? I'm 41 and had two days of Physio in hospital but that's it though I'm doing good doing my exercises and waking every day I guess like everyone says go to your GP and ask for referral.

This site is amazing such great support and advice from lovely people 💖 Xxx

• Posted

I'm near Brighton x

• Posted

Hi detty im also 41! Theres so many questions i want to ask about walking etc and i know a physio would beable to answer them.its ridiculous that we have no physio afterwards! I will get onto my g.p tomorrow and get the ball rolling in the meantime keeping on with the exersizes and crutches.
    • Posted

Ha the same age! 😊 Which hip have you had done? Mine was my left, so glad I had it done I was in a bad way before, limping and in a lot of pain and bent over to the side 😔 But now I'm walking straight and no limp!

How are you feeling? Xx

• Posted

Mine was my right hip.to be honest i wasn't in a dramatic amount of pain before the op but it needed doing and i would rather recover while im youngish.im doing ok i suppose,worried about getting addicted to the painkillers and not sleeping very well atall due to my lower back becoming painful because of sleeping in the same position.how are you doing?

• Posted

Yes the sleeping is a nightmare to begin with, I was waking every two hours and really uncomfortable with stiff back! My husband says I look dead when I'm asleep as on my back ridged but trust me it's gets better I'm only waking once or twice now. If you can't sleep just get up walk around and watch Netflix 😊 Have you been told to stay on your back for 3 months? Xxx

• Posted

No not been told to stay on my back,i was told i could sleep on my good side with a pillow between my legs but its hard to control my bad leg while sleeping like that.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.