79 year old father has stage 4 copd. Wants death with dignity. Girlfriend fighting.

Posted , 3 users are following.

My father has stage 4 copd. He sleeps at least 16 hours a day. Wakes up to use restroom and go outside to smoke. On oxygen, nebulizer, inhalers, steroids. He can only walk small distances then has to stop. He wants to use the "death with dignity" option available to him in oregon but his girlfriend keeps telling him no. He is always agitated and doesn't want his children around because of the way our mother died. (Long suffering with lung cancer) His girlfriend is allowing him to shut us out. We just want to help him. We feel he is close to dying and want to be with him. How can we estimate how much time he has left? The girlfriend tries to force feed him and always tries to wake him when he's resting. I just dont know what to do.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi Annie, I am sorry to read this. We can never imagine what it is like when someone is suffering. Ultimately, it is your father's decision as well as the doctors. Suffering and trauma sometimes leaves permanent scars on the person which not everyone can get over and there is no shame in that. Take him to his pulmonologist and let him give you a prognosis. If he doesn't want to go, bring the doctor to him.

You have to empathize with his girlfriend. She does not want to give up on him. She wakes him to feed him because, without adequate nutrition, he sure has less time and his suffering is more.

I am not a doctor nor haveI experienced this. But I lost my dad when he was 54 due to lung and heart complications. In the end, my dad just gave us and stopped taking his medication. No matter how much we forced him and pushed him, his will was gone. All we could do is not give up.

Thoughts and prayers with you and your family.

• Posted

Annie this is hear wrenching. This man is your Father so I appreciate your position. This is such a hard call. If I were you and I am not but I would go see his Doctor to see if there is anything as his Daughter that you can do. Only a thought hon. Keep us posted. 
  • Posted

Hi Annie

The only thing I can add aside from my empathy is this: If you want to talk to your dad's doc, you'll need your dad's permission, can't get around that in the States.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.