Some Advise Please

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hello, I have a number of health concerns and I wanted to share my symptoms to see if anyone else is having the same problems or know of any solutions.

Headaches, they're not terribly painful but they are draining. I get pain in my shoulders, neck and all around my head. It feels like a belt being tightened around my skull and I usually get around three of these per week.

Sinuses, they pop multiple times a day and although It's not painful it can be uncomfortable and it feels strange. After a recent flight it felt like I had pop rocks up my nose.

Ears, whenever I open my mouth I can hear a grinding or popping noises. I also get ringing in my ears from time to time and if I have drunk a lot the ringing can be very loud. The problem with my jaw is constant.

Eyes, when I get headaches it's usually accompanied by pressure behind my eyes and pain across my cheeks. I usually wake up with puffy eyes which go down around lunch time.

Neck, sometimes I get a noise and feeling in the back of my neck which can be compared to a rain shaker! It's like a crackling or popping sound which sounds and feels wired.

Anxiety, these symptoms have made me very anxious and I do suffer from minor panic attacks where I find it hard to breath and stay still. These aren't common but they are scary when they happen as I seem to convince myself that something bad is about to happen.

Twitches, I get twitches mostly in my legs. These aren't painful but add to the concerns. I do have bad circulation which might be a cause. Sometimes when I'm laying in bed I will get a full body jolt, this isn't regular but it does happen and it's always a worry when it does.

Tirdness, I'm not always tired but I can come and go suddenly and when it does I can feel extremely fatigued, so much so that I have actually fell asleep at my desk at work. I could drink lots of coffee or energy drinks but that brings on some of the other problems.

Irritability, sometimes I find it hard to concentrate and also like I'm not present. I find communicating a huge effort and can get irritated if people are talking to me. Once again this isn't an everyday situation but when it happens it's problematic.

Very few of these symptoms are constant but they're common enough for them to be a problem and I would like to get them sorted.

What I've done, I went to the opticians and had a full eye exam which was all fine. I don't need glasses.

I visited the doctor who first told me I had sinusitis despite me not having discharge, they recommended a spray but I decided to go elsewhere for a second opinion. The second doctor told me I had TMJ as well as bad posture! I'm trying to improve my posture as I know it's a problem, I've been thinking of getting one of those back braces.

I have been to the dentist who has agreed with the TMJ diagnosis ans I will be getting a mouth guard made soon which hopefully might help with my jaw. My jaw is my biggest problem but not my biggest concern.

Sorry about the essay but I wanted to list everything. Thanks to anyone who made it to the end and I'll look forward to your responses. Does anyone suffer from the same symptoms and more importantly has anyone found any solutions?

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

It does sound like TMJ. However there's no reason why you can't have sinusitis as well. You're incorrect in thinking you can't have it because you don't have a nasal discharge. I had chronic sinusitis on one side of my face for years, including facial swelling, but never had a nasal discharge. It was eventually found to be due to an undiagnosed dental problem.

Good for you for taking charge of your own health by working on your posture. However, take care that the anxiety doesn't get out of hand. Once health anxiety takes hold it can be a bit of a life sentence.

• Posted

Bad tmj. Im trying to figure this all out myself, got so bad lately. Triggering anxiety. Be very careful using nsaids. They can be ototoxis. I have used mouth gaurds for many years. Must replace them from time to time. Worked great the first few years too. I clench. Clench thru the mouth piece which is strange and one now every here and there twitched inside. I get tinnitus, headaches, popping open my miuth wide cracks loud. Ugh. Its all maddening. Im trying to find a tmj message therapist. Not  so easy at all. Seems a handful and in the city not outskirts.
    • Posted

Thanks for your responses, sorry to hear that you're both going through similar complaints. My health anxiety is a worry as it does affect my state of mind at times and get in the way of my life. I'll give the nasal spray a go and I've been recommended a neti pot which I'm currently looking into. Do you both get popping in your ears and nose?

• Posted

Never had TMJ, but that popping sensation is one of the classic symptoms of sinusitis, especially when it occurs in the nose. Another one I used to get was a feeling of fullness and heaviness in my head, to the extent that it sometimes felt like a weight actually moving inside my head if I bent forward.

Clearing your sinusitis won't help your TMJ symptoms, but at least it will help your general health. Chronic sinusitis can be very draining.

Glad to hear you're getting a mouthguard made. You might have to persevere a bit as I believe they're quite difficult to get used to.

• Posted

Today I've been getting huge forehead twitches (or spasms) as well as pain in my shoulders and at the top of my spine. My eyes also feel very heavy and swollen (but look alright) I'll pick up a decent nasal spray next time I'm at the shop.

• Posted

Really sounds to me as if you might have both!
    • Posted

Well, it does sound like it. The puffy eyes and popping in your nose sound like sinusitis. The headaches could be down to either condition. All I can say is I got terrible headaches during the years I was suffering from undiagnosed chronic sinusitis, but I've never had TMJ. The neck symptoms etc. are more likely to be TMJ though. Why not try the sinusitis treatment for a bit? It won't help the TMJ but it might reduce your general discomfort.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.