Heart Bypass

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi 

New hear, last year by complete chance (angiogram) I found all my coronary arteries were blocked, no symptoms at all, cycling the previous day!

I had a quin bypass using both chest arteries (BIMA) this was December. I just had my first check up and got discharged but they thought my sternal wire had popped up just below my neck, the surgion had a look and said it couldnt be as it didn't hurt.

He said it was my BCP? I asked what this was he said it's what he sutures muscle with, he wasn't concerned. I didn't ask him,

Does anyone know what these are and if they go away? 

I found this site seeking for answers!

Thank you

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I don't know what BCP means but I have never felt comfortable with my sternum since having my aortic valve replaced. I have a couple of places where I can feel the points of the wire when washing or doing up buttons. I often jump in bed if my wifes arm leans on it..

All down each side of my sternum I now have little bony lumps. At the foot of the faded scar (2012) there are a couple of swellings.

I asked about having the wire removed but they were not keen on doing it. It can be done as a patient had it done while I was in hospital but he was the appointments manager from another hospital. 

• Posted

Hi, thanks for the replay, it's all new to me. Just below the dip beneath Adam's Apple it's about the size of a match head I guess. I think he said BCP, it started with a B anyway!

I asked what if was, he said as it doesn't hurt it's not wire and probably BCP? Which is the suture they use on muscle and heavier tissue than skin.

Both my chest arteries are now in my heart, I have very little feeling in chest a bit like pins and needles.

Thanks again.

• Posted

Was that in December 2016? If so good luck with your recovery. I was pretty much back to normal in ten weeks but the procedure put me into AF.

Evidently it happens to over a third of patients. Some go back into NSR OK but in others it persists

• Posted

it was actually November 25th, it was 9 hours because my right chest artery wasn't long enough! To save my radial he connected it to the back of my heart, sewed it in with a camera in my stomache! I had to have drains in for 48 hours due to this and the time on my back really hurt shoulders, but I was discharged on Wednesday and that's when I found out this lump was part of what they repaired me with!

ten months ago I was petrified because I had just Google 'angiogram' me? I didn't have heart problems!

So glad it's gone well I was really expecting to die.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.