Herpes

Posted , 5 users are following.

Can anyone help. I've found out I have genital herpes type 2 a few months ago. I had serious blood poisoning and ended up in hospital. A few weeks later I came out with no spots and burning wee. Went to my doctor and was informed later that week I had herpes. So I informed my wife and she had all the test and came back clean. No herpes at all. I have been with my wife for 10 years never played away. What's happened? I'm confused. Help

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

How were you tested? If by blood test, which type of herpes blood test was it (IgG, IgM, other) and how did you score?
  • Posted

I don't know if this helps but I was diagnosed with genital herpes from a vaginal swab from an open blister about 3mths ago & have had symptoms of one or two blisters every few months for about 3 years, however, I have been with my partner for nearly 13yrs, both completely faithful & both tested negative in the past via blood tests. I am told by the nurse that it could lie dormant for years - in my case for about 10yrs - although I cannot understand the blood results. I have also never had a full-blown outbreak as described in the reading material.  My partner has no symptoms although I understand you could still have the condition & not have any symptoms. This would suggest that we will never know how I got it (? from my current partner or prior to this ?) or even a rough idea of when.  I plan to obtain a copy of my test results and research these, however, in the meantime I would welcome hearing from anyone else who is able to share any similar experiences or let me know if any of what I am being told is correct. Thank you to all for listening and for your support smile

• Posted

What type of blood test did you both have done? If IgM, it's unreliable, so you can't rely on it. Needs to be IgG, and you should test positive at 3+ months (especially if HSV2, which is what you sound like you have).

• Posted

Were your blood tests for HSV IgG? Rather unusual to test negative months/years after confirmed infection, unless the test was the wrong one.
  • Posted

Thank you for your response. This is really helpful to know. I don't know what type of blood test as it was amongst routine bloods which I was told included herpes. Once I get a copy of my test results I expect to be back on this board seeking more advice! Thanks again.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.