Have I developed Chronic pancreatitis ?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Newbie here so be tolerant and answer please.

History -

Male - 27 - Drinking history of 12 years (regular)

Last year in October 2016 had severe abdominal pain and got hospitalized. Alcohol induced Acute pancreatitis attack diagnosed. I Was given fluid through IV till one month and was discharged. 

At first my diet was reduced by 50% but slowly over time it has increased over to almost 100% of what was before the attack.

Now what is wrong - 

I have experienced abdominal pain 3- 4 times after the attack but of low intensity, not as severe as it was when I had acute pancreatitis attack. I fear is there a chance that I have developed chronic pancreatitis. Now how do I confirm this?

Do I have to take my blood test?

Whether blood tests are required only when experiencing pain in chronic pancreatitis ? OR Blood tests will help identifying chronic pancreatitis condition even if patient is not experiencing pain that moment?

Please anwer to my queries - especially last paragraph. And yes - I have completely given up alcohol and will not intake any for this lifetime.

Will be greatly obliged for your views.

PS- Also have developed shortness of breath after being cured from acute pancreatitis. But it may be discussed separately. Is this normal.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Vinnee43870.  A month in hospital on IV is a long time, during that time did you have tests?  Blood tests, a CT scan and/or Endoscopic Ultrasound would have showed the extent of the damage I'd have thought, if you had those done.  They can see if you have chronic from the scans usually.  The damage is progressive in chronic and doesn't disappear so is visible on the scans usually. 

It takes a long time for the pancreas to heal and because your diet has increased it could be putting more pressure on it.  I assume you were told you should eat a low fat diet?  That helps a lot and I wonder if you were prescribed Creon or other pancreatic enzyme to assist your digestion?  Eating smaller low fat meals more often can help too rather than 2 or 3 large meals a day.  Ensure you drink enough water.

Once past this acute attack you may not have another, or you might continue to have attacks, some do some don't.  It's possible you could progess to chronic if you continue to have acute attacks but not certain.  Just look after yourself and have medical check up's.

It's interesting that you mention shortness of breath.  Generally I don't have it but do find when in pain that I feel pressure on my upper abdomen when lying down particularly which does seem to make breathing more laboured.  I prop myself up when it happens.

• Posted

Thanks for such detailed support to all.

What kind of medical checkups do I need to do to confirm that I have developed chronic Pancreatitis in my present day.

Or do I have to wait for another Acute attack / Chronic attack (whatever you call it - I am confuse here also)  to confirm this? 

Main point is can I have any blood test or something like that in my present condition i.e today (which is - experiencing no pain presently and taking all kind of diest except cheese, meat and alcohol) to diagnose myself for chronic pancreatitis ?

• Posted

Your shortness of breath may he from lung damage while in the hospital. You may have a partial collapse in lung. So left with oxygen since I could not breathe right in the hospital with heavy IV drugs and swollen. Pancreas. Took three weeks after discharge to breathe right. You won't be chronic unless you continued to damage the pancreas. No drinking or fatty foods. Take it slow lots of rest. Green teas with lemon. Ginger. Prune juice for slowed bowels. Heat for pain. And Ibuprofen will reduce swelling good luck

• Posted

One of my lungs has collapsed spontaneously 3 times, well before pancreatitis, nothing to do with that, and whilst one time it was a very small tear the pain was sharp each time.  Not only did I have difficulty breathing deeply I had a lot of pain and thought I might be having a heart attack.  It's pretty obvious when one's lung collapses it's not just shortness of breath. Not saying shortness of breath isn't a worry vineet, ask your doctor about it.

• Posted

Hi Vineet,

I think you need to change your diet as Reefsider mentioned. You say that you returned to what you were eating before the attack and that could explain your continued pain.

Most of us are not dieticians, and want to continue eating the food we like which is often full of fat. Your pancreas has a hard time coping with fat, so the less of it you eat the better. No meat like beef, pork, ham, etc. No french fries, KFC, etc. It's bloody hard and I know myself. but, you need to do it to avoid pain. This is a serious condition and you are young. So, your diet will have to change.

In the meantime, keep off the alcohol and I wish you good luck and good health.

Regards,

Pete.      

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.