Is there much difference Surgery wise from Cyst removal to Ovary and Cyst?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Only wondering because my gyno said because my cyst is 5cm that it may mean I lose the Ovary.

I'm wondering if thats just precaution or is it because the Cyst is similar in size to the Ovary??

Anyway i'm more interested if the surgery is different, particularly recovery wise is different?

Any experience? I'd love to hear from you smile

2 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

• Posted

Hi, No there isn't much difference. I had to sign the consent form to agree to have ovary and tube removed if needed. The consultant said it was often safer than trying to remove the cyst alone. It can cause a lot of bleeding.

Had it removed last year, he said the cyst was wrapped around my ovary, so he removed the whole lot.

It was done laparoscopally, three small cuts, one each side and one in the middle.

It's not a hard op to recover from, just remember like any op it is an assault on your body, and you need to recover from it, and will feel tired for a few weeks.

But nothing really to worry about.

• Posted

Thanks for replying so quickly, how long did you stay in hospital?
    • Posted

I had a rectcele repair at the same time and stayed in for two nights.

Compared to the repair, the oophrectomy wasn't anything really.

Just an odd twinge afterwards, but overall was ok.

• Posted

I've got 2 children, one 15 months old and needs picking up a lot, if I was to have the surgery within the next 6 months would you say things like lifting kids is a no no?

• Posted

Thanks Laura,

I guess I just need to take some time off work and try to sort childcare arrangements, hopefully its a matter of resting for the first few days and then be able to at least walk my 6yr old to school?

• Posted

I'm waiting for surgery now, I previously had other side removed because of a cyst destroyed my ovary. They explained that they'll most likely have to remove the ovary again ( mines 5cm inside of it this time n have another not on ovary) because cutting into or on the ovary can cause excess bleeding and or damage to it as its delicate.

Healing last time took 7-9 ish weeks but that was a midline cut, been advised with lapascopy (3-5 small cuts) 2-4 weeks healing , just remembering to take it easy after.

Good luck on your surgery...

• Posted

Thanks Katie for replying,

Did you experience any pain before you had the ovary removed?

• Posted

Yes, then I had pain like deep pulling, aches sharp twangs in low abdomen etc, now I have same but with back aches and dull pain that gradually gets worse n burns, with tired all the time , goes after surgery . I hope lol x
    • Posted

Gosh me too, I so want to feel like me again, and soon! x
  • Posted

I'm waiting for surgery now, I previously had other side removed because of a cyst destroyed my ovary. They explained that they'll most likely have to remove the ovary again ( mines 5cm inside of it this time n have another not on ovary) because cutting into or on the ovary can cause excess bleeding and or damage to it as its delicate.

Healing last time took 7-9 ish weeks but that was a midline cut, been advised with lapascopy (3-5 small cuts) 2-4 weeks healing , just remembering to take it easy after.

Good luck xx

• Posted

Hi. I had the same exact question in mind when my dr recommended ovary & cyst removal together. My cyst which developed within the left ovary was about 7 cm and as far as I know a normal ovary is like a size of an almond (very small).

I had this cyst gradually growing over the past three years but did not have any significant pain and my blood tests were fine. The reason why my dr recommended me to remove the cyst was because it could rupture and cause lots of pain, and removing the cyst only could be pretty bloody.

So I accepted to remove both the left ovary and cyst together. Had the surgery (laparoscopy) in mid Dec. The pain killers which I used for about 5 days helped a lot but I had lots of gas pain because they pump air into the belly area to be able to see inside better. Also, I could not go #2 for 3-4 days which boosted the pain more.

Other than this, I felt pretty tired compared to my regular energy levels. It will about a month now and I think I have almost fully recovered. My dr told me a complete recovery would be six weeks.

Hope this would help you. Please feel free to reach me if you have any questions. Wish you the best for your coming surgery.

• Posted

Thanks so much for taking the time to reply.

I think that's what I will ask at my next appoint, how big is my ovary and how the cyst is in terms of the ovary, is my ovary probably destroyed etc.

Madness how your body works really, I got pregnant with just 1 go back in 2015, if i've had the cyst since 2010 and its been slowly getting bigger.

• Posted

Hi my cyst on my left ovary is 6cm..just had another scan last Wednesday and theres no change..but my surgeon has told me i will loose my ovary along with the cyst as its completley covered it and will be dead anyways..i am waiting on a date for my surgery now..
    • Posted

Hi Debbie, thanks for replying,

Are you getting any pain with your cyst?

I'm desperate to get this thing out and know if its that causing me daily pain.

I just want to get back to normal life, I want to exercise again and look forward to our family holiday in August.

I truly hope I get an appoint to meet with the gyno again soon and then from there we will hopefully go ahead with surgery, I have no idea how long to expect to wait on the NHS in the UK though!

• Posted

Hi Mason i feel exact same i did have alot of pain and i was bleeding constant..i just kept on going to the doctors and got pain relief and meds to slow down my bleeding..i was feeling bloated all the time too so got something for that also..there was no way i was gonna suffer all these things and try carry on normal life..i am also in the uk and was first seen last september when they first discovered i had the cysts..my surgeon then told me around 6 mth we were looking at surgery but he wanted me to loose a little weight..Really!! I am hoping to go for surgery in March ..i really want to get back to normal too ..missing exercise aswell..but i got my self an exerise bike we also have a holiday booked in July and have 3 weddings coming up..

Just keep on at your GP to get seen again

Goodluck xxx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.