Laser keyhole surgery for herniated disc

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi  8 weeks of leg pain and back pain, had back pain for yrs. After paying for a MRI scan found I had a herniated disc at L4. One Dr said it was my hip another just gave me muscle relaxants. Was so much better but doing things I shouldn`t have so now back to square one and worse. Been seeing a Physio and she recomends surgery, which I don`t want. Have read about keyhole is this effective? 

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi, don't know if you are in the U.K. But I can't see them doing surgery straight away, they would try more conservative methods first like epidural injections. I am waiting to see a neurologist for my back but have already refused injections once. I really hope you get it sorted as I know exactly what pain you are suffering x

• Posted

Thank you  I am in Uk  I was getting on fine with conservative methods until I found yet again I couldn`t walk or stand up. Slightly better now mind you if they had said it was a slipped disc in the first place and not my hips. things would have turned out differently. Actually my husband a vet said I had a slipped disc instantly!! Apparently its a bad hernination .
    • Posted

The last surgeon I saw that offered injections said it would be very painful with little chance of it working! I know no two people are the same but if you look into it you will see lots of people have said it hasn't made any difference. I let my problems go on and on and now have lots of things going on including an infection that nobody found and has healed on the nerve root. I found hot packs help slightly if the pain gets too bad. Take care of yourself x

• Posted

Hi there,

The injections are ok as long as you are completely relaxed and believing that they are going to work. If you are tensed then its not pleasant. I have had them and they do give relief but lasts only about 8 weeks for me

• Posted

Hi I think my problem is I had a bad experience with epidural during childbirth, I have had the back problems for so long now it won't help me. I now have ddd with modic endplate changes and foraminal narrowing and also had infection that healed on the nerve root. I get pain on walking but am willing to put up with that as long as needed to avoid surgery and the risk of making things worse.

• Posted

Hi,I went to my GP yesterday because I have been in constant pain I have had two hydrocortisone injections in my back that hasn't worked.

I have spoke to my G P who has referred me back too the hospital to see a orthopaedic physiotherapist to help me with the pain.

Haven't read about keyhole surgery.It could be worth thinking about.

Been in constant pain for 3 years. Good luck.

• Posted

Alison I can`t afford to be sent backwards and forwards have a disabled husband who relies totally on me.  Did think about the steriod option but you have just answered my question. Sorry to hear your problem being in pain isn`t fun hope you go on ok

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.