Bi-Lateral hip replacement

Posted , 17 users are following.

Hi everyone I am due to have my operation on Thursday and I am going crazy with fear. I have been thinking of cancelling but know I can't as the pain is bad. This waiting is just awful. I am going in the day before to discuss which type of sedation etc. I really don't know how I will get through it.

Ann

2 likes, 33 replies

33 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Ann,  I was absolutely terrified prior to my surgery.  I remember many nights crying, and thinking why me?  I'm too young for this.

Looking back, that fear was the worst part of the entire thing!!!  I remember getting home a couple of days after surgery and being so happy and relieved that it was nothing like I'd imagined.  I'm now 6 months post op and doing very wellsmile  I'm so glad that I went though with it.  I'm sure that you will be too.

• Posted

The torture of the fear of this operation is horrendous, and it was BY FAR the worst part of the whole experience for me. I was fine once it was done, and you will be too. 

You have to simply bite the bullet and accept you don't even have a life without the hip replacements, that anything is better than being in agony every minute of your life. 

Visualise all the wonderful things you will do, the person you will be when you are better. Keep on reminding yourself that this is a life changing operation (which it most definitely is) and you will have your life back.

In my case after convulsing with fear, the sedated me - they were the kindest, most comforting lovely nurses and doctors in the theatre, and yours will be too, they will hold your hand every step of the way.

Before you know it, it will all be over and you will wake up and wonder what the fuss was all about....If anything I wish I had had mine done sooner, lord only knows why I waited for so long...it is fine, it will be fine.

Stay on here and let us know how you get on, be strong, you can do this, and definitely don't cancel, you will simply have to go through it all again....God bless you

• Posted

Hi ya I was exactly the same to the point I was there waiting and changed my mind my dad was on his way to get me but I did it and so glad I did now I'm 15 days post op and I'm walking about everyday u will regret it if u cancel like u say the pain is bad and it will get worse X

• Posted

Bless you Ann I know that fear and I too was thinking of cancelling but at 61 I have to say the alternative was to stay on crutches and eventually a wheelchair!

It's thanks to all the nice supporters on here I was able to go through with it , my 1st was September and that hip is like it was 20 year ago so please look at the prize waiting for you , it's 1 of the most successful life changing procedures success rate is high Ann my love if I can do this then so can you You keep reading your messsages its better than any sedative , A lady summed it up on here she said surrender yourself to your surgeon and his team and know we are all there for you every step of the way

Warm Hugs Ange

ps I'm 3 days post op and looking forward to getting my life back so will you ??

• Posted

The waiting for the unknown is always the worst bit. Even waiting for a test result is traumatic. Hip replacement is supposed to be the most succesful operation in the world. You will be fine and wonder why you were so worried.
  • Posted

I had the same conversation with my self the day if my op back in August... it's not that bad it doesn't need doing and the rest but my word the day after the op all the terrible pain in the hip was gone I could have kissed the surgeon ..now 6 months later I'm waiting to have the last hip replaced no doubt I will be scared again but not as bad as the first time good luck 🤗 x

• Posted

Hi I'm nearly 7 months post hip and pelvic fracture, couldn't have op for a couple of reasons and I'm looking at either being on crutches indefinitely or a chair, if you can have it done then go for it, you will be fine and after a bit pain free.

Just don't do the twist :-)

• Posted

Oh darling girl!  I was the biggest scaredy cat in the world.  Drove my husband to the edge - crying, carrying on before the op.  Here I am, pain free!  I walk a bit mechanically but absolutely no pain in my hips at all.  It is one of the most successful ops!  The first person to see me afterwards told me it was amazing to see no pain in my face!  It's right uncomfy straight afterwards...but the reward is priceless.  Bestest of luck!  

• Posted

Hi Ann

I am coming up to my 3rd year since having bi-lateral and like you was in so much pain, almost wheelchair bound and scared to death. I found this site by chance and posted my fears and got such a huge response which helped me tremendously.

I didn't know they even did bi-lateral replacement and yes it's scary but at least you only have to go through one recovery. I was put out completely and would recommend this for bi-lateral. It will be tough but it is most definitely worth it.

It had been the best decision I made to have it and once off all the mess, I was pain free. It has given me a new lease of life and can't believe it has been almost 3 years.

I remember the physics advice to me through rehabilitation 'baby steps'.

You will have some bad days but these will be outweighed by the achievements that come as you progress and you will look back on this post as I have mine and see it was the best decision you ever make.

• Posted

I'm with the "just do it" vote! I'm not suggesting that everyone deals with fear the same way, but like you, when I first was told that it had come - I knew I would need it "soon" but then my hip bone upon and died on me, so that became "yesterday" - there was an awful OMG moment. So - and don't do this at home kiddiesbiggrin - I went on utube and watched an entire operation on there! Now I'm kind of squeamish at times, but I found it was just so everyday! The people doing it were clear and oiled like a machine, there were no "hospital drama" moments, and it really was just a job! Gosh! And that's how I got past it. I was actually disappointed because I had opted for no sedation so that I could be awake for my own operation, but they could not get the needle into my spine, so I had no choice and had to go with the GA. 

Not long after I was told that I need major surgery on my ankle and did the same thing. Now THAT is going to be an insist on GA! It really is scary surgery - the hip was just routine. 

I've only had the one hip done now add the other still has life in it and no pain yet, but my experience was waking up totally pain free and that's how it's been ever since (coming up to 10 weeks). The odd twinge. An occasional ache. It would have been worth going through hell to get to this point - but it was far from that! 

I know that not everyone has such an easy time of it, and even my surgeon said mine was better than text book, but the vast majority of people have great outcomes. The odds are in your favour that you will be back to jiving within the year. And every time that you feel that fear coming on, make a big smile - smiling makes the brain think of happy endorphins, and pushes the fear back. 

• Posted

Ann,

Just concentrate on the fact that after the operation and recovery period, you will be able to walk withou pain cheesygrin

The joy of movement without that pre-operation pain is absolutely worth all that we go through with our nerves before the operation, and the recovery which always seems slower than we would like.

Take it easy, don't beat yourself up, we've all been through the pre-op nerves, and remember there's always someone there on this forum to help you through the experience.

For tips on sedation, see my website, the address is in my personal info here ...

https://patient.info/forums/profiles/rocketman-sg6uk-907025

and at the bottom of the moderator's "useful resources" page at

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/thr-useful-resources-487147

I had spinal block, with this you have the  choice of no sedation (being awake), light (woozy), or full sedation (totally out like a general anaesthetic).  Talk to the anethetist (they are lovely people), they understand your concerns and will tailor it to your wishes.

Best wishes

Graham - 🚀💃 🤸

• Posted

Dear Ann,

I was scare i didn't know what to expect. I went for operation Monday and worked till Sunday just not to think about operation.

I did not even know this site excited. I went trough the operation

and you will too. In March my opsite hip have to be done as well.

Im scared but on other hand looking forward to be pain free .

Belive me if they ask me if i want go tomorrow i will not hesitate to say yes. The waiting time is nervs vrecking but it worse it.

Try keep your self ocupaded. Im 14 weeks after operation

of left hip and im happy i had done it. You will be fine. Before

you know will be over and you will be glad you didn't cancled.

Good luck and big hug Madla💗

• Posted

Hello Ann,

I had both hips replaced on November 15, about 9 weeks ago. I'm very happy with the results so far.  No arthritis pain (or any other pain), just stiffnes that will take time to resolve.  I really don't think you have much to worry about (easy for me to saybiggrin). The surgery was a breeze.  The recovery is a little tough in the beginning (maybe 7 days), but very manageable. Not a lot of pain, just tenderness.  If you have a little help at home for a couple of weeks, you'll do great. Just put your head down and power through this and you'll be on the other side before you know it.

Good luck,

Jim

PS. General anesthesia worked well for me.

• Posted

Wow reading all these comments wants me to call n get it done now...thanks...I do have something to ask which I trust all of you that is very helpful..1st..I'm on blood thinners n I have an appointment to talk about getting shots n therapy...I go on the 24th to talk about the shots...2ndi will see my hip surgeon on the 7th of February..so if I go to get shots I have to go off blood thinners for 7days so just the consult to get shots will be to close to see my surgeon to go forward with my hip to be done..Am I wrong but I don't want no more pain with shots I rather cancel shots and just go on the 7th to set up getting this hip done.. should I do shots they never helped before my last two back surgeries. What would anyone do...

• Posted

hi kathy, 

I am not sure if I understand it correctly ...Which doctor are you going to see on January 24 ? is that for the bloodthinners ? are you talking about the cortisone shots for your hip?

And you are seeing your orthopedic surgeon on February 7 to set up a date to have THR surgery? 

have you had those shots before?

I am so sorry that you are in so much pain, darling .. 

I would ask how long you have to wait after the shots to get the hip replacement surgery ... 

Maybe you can start your own discussion so more members can respond, okay ...

big warm hug

renee

• Posted

I'm so sorry alittle overwhelmed..I go to see the dr to talk about starting injections on January 24.....so if I decide to get the injection the dr will set up for injections after I'm off blood thinners...I would rather not get them because where I see orthopedic surgeon on February 7th I rather just not get shots and tell the orthopedic dr let's set the surgery up..I'm pushing this all off cause I'm nervous but the pain is getting worse...so I'm going to cancel my injections on January 24th and just talk to orthopedic surgeon on February 7th to let it happen..I still need to be off blood thinners but that's OK I'm gonna have the hip done..so if I make a date with Ortho on 7th ...7 days off thinners then surgery..so probably getting my hip done middle to end of February...it's just the wait..I hope I explained better...thanks for listening.. I just was nervous when I wrote before but I'm Ok now..just wish it was over now....haha.. please forgive me when I get nervous my mouth speaks faster than mind.. again thanks... Kathy

• Posted

oh kathy ... I didn't mean to lecture you ... no need to apologize ...

sounds as if you have a plan,darling ...

I know that one of our forum members had a cortisone shot and on her way to theatre,  they found this out, surgery was cancelled because there was not enough time between shot and surgery ... I never knew this and just was concerned -

this waiting time is very challenging ... so please, come here and share with us okay ? that is the best therapy -

you are not alone

angel blessings

• Posted

Kathy - I am sorry you feel overwhelmed. It is overwhelming sometimes, thinking about all the options. Renee is completely right about the injections.

You can not have surgery after a cortisone injection due to the risk of infection. You have to wait a long time. In my case the injections initially helped, but wore off incredibly quickly leaving me in agony, and it was agony. 

I had done too much whilst the injection was working, and could barely walk afterwards, I couldn't walk brilliantly before but it made things much worse in my case.

So I agreed to a hip replacement, only for it to be cancelled ten minutes before the operation was due to take place, as the surgeon only noticed the injections on my notes at the last moment (another dr gave the cortisone injection and it was in my notes) It might be wise to consider carefully before having anything done before your hip replacement.

You have mentioned cancelling the shots on your last post - so maybe you have already decided not to have them. They are very short term solutions - and will not change the outcome of needing surgery - they are essentially a sticking plaster until the surgery is done.

It is a good idea to discuss on here different ideas, as someone somewhere can always provide a view and/or advice. Wishing you the very best with your decisions and health. It is a difficult time...we have all been when you are...and are here to support you.

• Posted

I had the shots twice. I always knew they have temporary respite, and there are absolutely no guarantees they will work, or work for long. They really can't say. The first time I wasn't  so bad to start off with - or, in hindsight, that is how it felt at the time - and I was playing for time to get a bit older in order to minimise the chances of having a revision late in life. The first time they were great. About 18 months of good times. Immediately after them I hiked Morocco! After about 12 months the pain slowly came back, and I had a second lot of injections around 22 months later. Didn't work for a minute! 

I do think I made the right decision for me, to have the shots, but when the right hip eventually worsens, as it will, I won't make the same choice now - I will go straight to replacement. 

So either choice is a valid choice, and you must do what you think is best for you. Just as I did - and I do believe that I played it correctly even though it did mean more pain in the long run. But don't choose them out of fear of the operation. That is the wrong reason to choose them. Choose them because you have good cause to try to extend the life of your existing hip and to delay the operation for a good reason.

• Posted

Thanks for everything and I just didn't want to get that shot and have to wait longer..it's getting worse and I can't take no more...I know all of you are a godsend to me..I appreciate all your help...I think I trust all of you more than anyone else...to me if you go through it then you understand...I definitely will keep in touch..I think the arthritis on top of all the damage doesn't help..it's been so cold here doesn't help.. again thanks and I will keep in touch.. blessings... Kathy

• Posted

Yes Beth I have had them in my lower back but still had 2 surgeries anyway..it's getting worse and keeping me up all night..I'm nervous but I'm ready..I see my surgeon on February 7th so I'm setting up the date..ill have to be off my blood thinners for 7days before surgery but I'm ready..I will definitely keep in touch with all of you cause your definitely a godsend..thanks for your comments much appreciated....

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.