Scared of switching from citalopram to fluoxetine :-(

Posted , 9 users are following.

Suffered from anxiety and depression all my life but forced out my job of 6 years due to bullying , ended up having a breakdown . Been on citalopram for 7 years now on 40 mg but slipped into a deep depression this past year, can't go outside , don't want to see anyone , can't sleep due to racing thoughts so catch up in the day . Feel so tired , depressed , can't focus, cry most days. Went to docs this wk and been given Prozac , straight switch but I'm terrified of side effects as had pretty rough ride starting out on Citalopram . So worried about the withdrawal off citalopram and side effects of Prozac . Part of my anxiety is with taking medication and feeling funny straight after ! Please someone help ! Need to start the Prozac Monday as citalopram run out and so want to get well again but so scared 💊😢

Thanks for listening everyone and sorry for long post xxx

0 likes, 32 replies

32 Replies

Next
  • Posted

This spunds exactly like me....was on 20mg citalopram for 7 years and just wasnt working anymore....finally switched to prozac 5 weeks ago. Wasnt that bad....definitely felt no worse. Still up and down but i am hoping it will even out soon. Side effects for me are not sleeping well but it is slowly getting better.
    • Posted

Thank for taking the time to reply back to me . My anxiety just gets the better of me especially with meds . It means so much hearing from someone who has experienced the same meds as it doesn't matter what family and friends say unless they have taken meds it's difficult to take their advice. I know everyone is different but its reassuring to hear from you .

I'm very grateful

Louise :-)

• Posted

Don't be scared!Are you supposed to wait till Monday?I was on citalopram for five years at 40 and loved it!!I was weaned off during my last pregnancy and when my symptoms all came back I tried to go back on celexa and it made me worse I only lasted two days on 10 mg!Thats after taking 40 for five years and I had no trouble weaning off whatsoever!So now I am trying Prozac!I wasn't on anything at the time and since I had a bad reaction to citalopram this time doc started me low on Prozac!Years ago I did the med switch from med to med with no breaks in between till I found the right one which was citalopram at the time!Hope it works and you feel better!

• Posted

Aw thanks for your kind words . I'm supposed to b doing a straight switch from 40mg citalopram to 30mg Prozac but I guess I'm.reading about brain zaps and other withdrawal nasties coming off citalopram and I guess I'm scaring myself . Citalopram has worked for me for 7 years but since I had the breakdown last year I've sunk so low it just isn't working so I know I need to change . Also I've put on nearly 3 stone on Citalopram and it makes me soon drowsey . It's such a struggle isn't it just to try and get back to normality if there ever is such a thing lol 🤔, so glad I've found this site , it's such a comfort and support to me . Hope ur feeling well now lovely 😘xx

• Posted

I wonder why these drugs just stop working after some time? Unfortunately, I don't have the strength to see through the side effects so stopped taking them. 

• Posted

Hi louise,

I did a switch from cipramil to prozac 7 Weeks ago, i did it by stopping cip, then starting prozac about a week later. I read about tapering and switching scared my self a little, wasnt sure how to do it. But i finally swallowed prozac with no problems, no reactions.

however ive had a few ups and downs, mood very low, flu like feelings, nausea, but these are normal on starting most new meds. Im very hopeful prozac will help my anxiety, most people report feeling worse before better.

it is a slow drug to work for most people so dont give up too soon. Write a diary everyday, feelings, thoughts, and physical symptoms, so you can track progress.

I hope you manage switch, eat small meals drink good filtered water rest, be good to yourself.

hugs🌼

• Posted

Hi Carol

How kind of you to reply . It really does help me as I think I'm so anxious right now I over think everything .

I will take your advice and really take care of myself during this changeover .

How encouraging to know I'm not alone in all this , so glad I've found this site and thank you so much for your words of wisdom .

I hope you are getting to the place you want to be mentally and wish you love and best wishes . I like to think of us all as a "works in progress" lol ;-)

Kindest Regards

Louise

Xxx

• Posted

Funny how bullying at my job started me off on a downward spiral too...and also heart palpitations so now I think I am going to die, daily. I am afraid of taking meds too. I tried 3 different meds and I couldn't take any of them (Anti depressants).  I just couldn't risk feeling worse with the meds than with them unti I supposedly felt better. So I choose to just take Ativan when I need it. I also found out that Tylenol helps with anxiety (my major problem). All of the Anti D's will have side effects and I know people go from one brand to another without many issues. I was so afraid of the withdrawals too, but I would have LOVED for something to have worked for me. I think you will be okay with the Prozac. Most other Anti D's use the Prozac Bridge to wean off of because of Prozac's very long half life. Don't be scared. Although I know that fear. What's the worse that can happen? You will try something else. Ask your doc for some Ativan to use when you need it while switching over and that may help. Take care. X0

• Posted

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply . How awful you suffered bullying too . Even though I've always suffered anxiety and been strong it was the bullying that pushed me over the edge and I feel has changed me as a person . I totally get the horrible feeling of heart racing and beating out if your chest and then the panic that you are going to die.

On top of this I am now suffering with crippling depression which keeps me inside the house shut out from the world . It's awful isn't it ?

I hope you find some peace and get through this lovely and really appreciate your advice .

Unfortunately anxiety /depression can make us our own worst enemy .

Will let you know know how I get on Monday , hope you have a lovely weekend

Big hugs

Louise x

• Posted

I switched from 60 Citla to Prozac four months ago after being on them for 18 years. My doctor had me have 48 hours of no meds then go on to 10mg Prozac for 5 days then up to 20mg. After 6 weeks we increased to 30mg for 10 days then up to 40mg where I am now. Doing a direct switch like your doctor is with you is plain stupidity on their behalf. The chemical content of the 2 meds are very different.. you need to work out which is your stabling level.

• Posted

Hi lookingonwards,

i agree with you totally, two drs said i could switch straight from one ad to another ie endep to cipramil. Then endep to prozac no break, i didnt like that idea so each time i waited 7 days. One dr suggested endep and cipramil together mmm i said no thank you.

i recently was given a script for reflux med i researched and found a major interaction with valium, i told dr i wouldnt be taking it he asked why. I told him what i read online he said why you do that?  He said but anyone can write on internet its not all true, but i went to product site so I said because i want to know about the drugs you drs hand out and what interacts  with what.

i like to think of myself as fairly intelligent and i prefer to research and make my own decisions. Drs dont like that!, 🙄

• Posted

Hi thank you for taking time to reply. This is why I was worried about a straight switch as surely I will have withdrawal off ciitalopram and Prozac won't work straight away ?

It's so confusing as some people do a straight switch no problems and some cross taper .

I'm dreading it tbh but nothing will b as bad as how I'm feeling right now so I will just bite the bullet and go with it . My doc said the withdrawal by weaning off my citslopram might make me alot worse so she suggested straight switch .

Thank you for your advice though , it makes all the difference knowing I'm not alone in all this and I hope you are in a good place or at least getting there .

Big Hugs

Lou x

• Posted

Hi Carol

I totally understand your fears about doctors and it's so worrying that we can't trust them to make the right decicision about our meds . I research any drug I take as it's going into my body not the doctors so have a right to know how it might affect me.

I hope you are on the road to recovery now and I just hope from Monday I am too.im dreading the bumpy ride beforehand but just praying its all going to be worth it.

Big Hugs

Louise 😘

• Posted

Sorry I think I posted to someone else the first time. Did you stabilize and adjust to the Prozac? And feel good again?
    • Posted

After trying 4 antidepressants and not feeling better on any of them, I am going to try Tramadol...I have osteo too so in some degree of pain almost daily. But Tramadol is supposed to be AMAZING for depression, anxiety and OCD as well.
    • Posted

Hi Danny.. yep I am on 40mg of Fluox now after 18 or so years of 60mg of Citla... I feel great now.. way better than I ever did for those 18 years.
    • Posted

Thanks lookingonwards that gives me encouragement. Glad your doing well. I'm hoping to get to that point. And so ready to get there.

• Posted

Hi lookingonwards how long did it take you to stabilize or feel good again once you moved to 40? My doc had me do a bridge from 60 citalopram to 60 fluoxetine. Decrease and in crease over a month. When I got to the 60 fluoxetine it seemed like it was too high dose. Was dropped to 40 after 10 days on 60. Feeling low at the moment and naeseus. Been 19 days since the drop. Pharmacist said it'll take a bit for the dose to work out. Hoping I stabilize and sure looking forward to it.

• Posted

I started off the following way.

48 hours of no Citla..

5 days of 10mg Fluox

6 weeks of 20mg Fluox

10 days of 30mg Fluox

Now on my 11th week of my 40mg Fluox.

It does take a long time to stabalise.. and because your Doctor was so stupid with the way they did your switch you will be feeling damn awful. Do not give up it will happen.. but it takes its sweet time.

I see way to many people on here treating this medication like it is a weight loss magic pill and expecting miracles instantly.. it tests your patience .. but you will be better for it in the end.

What country are you in?

• Posted

P.S ask your pharmacist if you can take an ibuprofen..

I used to take 200mg a day when I felt that horrible headache and nausea and it knocked it on the head.

But you need to check with your own pharmacist first.

The low feeling .. I found movement helped .. of course not exactly what someone feels like doing when they feel crappy... but walking or a hike or something which got my heart pumping really seemed to help me as it shifted some of that energy around inside of me.

• Posted

Ok. Thanks Lookingonwards. I'm in the U.S. Been a rough road but just been praying through it. I'll be 21 days tomorrow. So ready for the feeling better days. How many weeks into 40 did you notice feeling better?

• Posted

I never had itching... but not everyone gets the same side effects as our body chemistry is all made up differently. I would just lather some non perfumed moisturizer on as it may be dried skin from winter or not enough fluids.
    • Posted

Hey lookingonwards. It's been a while but just wanted to update. I started feeling better at 31/2 weeks. Had two weeks of better but had side effects of tight chest (heartburn) and headache. Now at 6weeks I've had a couple days of a rough patch. Spaced out depressed and anxious. Is this par for the course for the adjustment? Should I expect some ups and downs?

• Posted

It sure is.. I had a rough 3 days a few weeks ago and I am into my almost 6 month. My Doctor said push thru it and to remember these tablets do not mean every day is a happy day... that just like everyone else we may have some off days. I went for a lot of long walks and snapped out of it. Exercise/Movement is key to getting rid of anxiety.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.