Does this sound like IBS? Doctors won't help.

Posted , 8 users are following.

Long story short -

I have sore abdominal pain (mainly lower right) that sometimes comes with gas. I've gotten stabbing pain sometimes. It sometimes moves to my sides, lower back, pelvic area, thighs. Usually in the back, pelvic area, and thighs, it feels more tingly. It started about four months ago. It lasted the first time for almost two weeks I believe. Now it's more of an on off thing, but has been recently happening more frequently lately; which has got me worried.

Doctors have done blood and stool tests for me, came up with nothing. I have asked for an ultrasound and they said it's not needed. I asked to see a GI and they said that's also not needed. I asked for a pelvic exam, also not needed. I'm getting so frustrated rolleyes

I would pick a different medical place but my insurance only lets me go here and I don't have the money to go to the emergency room (nor do I think they would accept me). This place should be shut down but I'm stuck.

I did some research and am hoping this is it but I was wondering about everyone else's symptoms.

I'm deathly scared of this being ovarian or cervical cancer. sad

Thank you all.

0 likes, 23 replies

23 Replies

Next
  • Posted

My problem is basically wind and some discomfort.

It would seem your Family Doctor is positive there is nothing else wrong.

One thing it could be however is Anxiety, that can cause Wind, flatulence. My condition is worse in the morning and clears as the day proceeds.

Another thing you could also consider is Diet, Drink and medications.

At this time in the USA is Obama Care I understand that will be dismantled soone as your new Government gets into power. That however does not get away from the fact that the Tests you are asking for are very expensive, examinations of the Colon are invasive and many Doctors are trying not to go down that road as the Colon etc can be torn on inspection. If they go down that way they can confirm a condition and mend or remove the problem.

BOB

• Posted

Thanks Bob! At the moment though I really just want an ultrasound, no colonoscopy. I also would like to rule out any possible problems with my ovaries. I am hoping this is just trapped wind and gas.
    • Posted

Hi Melody. If it's any consolation, I've had terrible wind for a month now - they scanned my ovaries and they came back clear. My pain is lower left side but similar to yours.

I would say it's unlikely to be anything pelvic if you haven't had any other symptoms - e.g. Bleeding, pain during sex, constant bloating that does not come and go but is persistently making you look pregnant (even if only 2 months), frequent urinating, abnormal discharge. If you have any of the above, write a list and show it to the doctor.

My auntie had ovarian cancer and sadly passed away from it - she had all of the above symptoms for a long time (but refused to see a doctor). I hope this gives you peace of mind and good luck.

• Posted

I have got exactly the same pain as you have you had a smear test recently?i suffer from ovarian cysts one weighed 8lb lost a ovary aswell most of the time they don't show on a normal ultrasound you need a internal one I've been fighting with my doc for months saying my pain isn't just ibs but his reluctant do a ct scan ????

• Posted

No smear tests, I am not active so they told me it's not necessary as well. sad may I ask what do ovarian cysts feel like?

• Posted

I disagree that smears and not necessary if not sexually active general stomach pain with cysts depends how big they are some cause no problems some cause awful pain and pain when having sex often in my case symptoms of a uti
    • Posted

Get brain fog weak legs a lot rightsided pain about 2 inches from my belly button worse after a bm
  • Posted

Sounds very like IBS.  Does your pain move around to different areas of your stomach and do you get change of bowel habit?  Do you get relief  after a bowel movement?

I would keep going back to your doctor and insist strongly on further tests to rule out other causes and give you a definitive diagnosis and an end to anxiety. Has your doctor suggested what could be wrong? If he has not, further tests are needed to give you proper answers.

I had the same worries as you and I was automatically offered a stool,test and ultrasound which were negative.  I asked for a urine and celiac test which were also clear.  I was diagnosed with IBS.  It is your right to have these tests.  Keep pushing your doctor for these investigations.  

If your doctor still refuses, I would change your insurance company to allow you to go elsewhere and enquire if you would be accepted in the emergency room. Tell him his attitude is not good enough in the modern age make a formal complaint, and inform him you intend to change your healthcare plan.

• Posted

My pain is usually always in the lower right side of the abdomen although it sometimes is upper right too. I believe maybe a couple times it was in the left, but for a very short time period.

My bowel movements are relatively normal and solid; but sometimes they vary in shape. Sometimes they're like little pebbles and sometimes they're more normal sized, so to speak. I read that people mainly have diarrhea? Although I don't know how accurate that may be.

My doctors still have yet to diagnose me with anything! I've gone to so many that just tell me to wait for it to go away. sad

• Posted

Oh and as relief - I would say yes, however I usually go upon waking up in the morning when I usually just feel very gassy - none of the weird sore pain.
    • Posted

Everyone is different with IBS.  Some get mainly constipation or diarrhoea whereas others get a mixture of both.  There is no hard and fast rule with this.  I had mainly constipation which changed to loose/urgent stools as well.  I also had had pebble like stools.

You really need an abdominal ultrasound to rule out gallbladder problems too. Right sided pain may indicate this. A pelvic ultrasound checks for cysts/fibroids.  Telling you to wait for the pain to go away is not satisfactory.  Pain indicates that something is not right. Your pain is not going away; your doctor should be recognising this.  I went to my surgery eight times and saw different doctors.  Only one recognised my IBS.

A smear test is unnecessary if you are not sexually active.  I was told this by my doctor when I enquired about having one.

• Posted

Argh, thank you for all this info. Hopefully I have IBS and none of the other things you listed. Back to the doctors I go next week ...
    • Posted

Do you know if maybe IBS can possibly cause arm soreness as well? I ask this because my abdomen area was sore for a short while today and then I noticed my arm being sore out of nowhere - I don't do any heavy lifting or anything. And now that I think of it, there have been instances in which both arms have felt cold and tingly.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.