arrythmia all new to me..what to expect

Posted , 2 users are following.

hi i am by most standards a very healthy 50--something runner, 

reasonable BMI, no issues or fam history with heart or cardio probs...  recently saw doc for sinus infection lasting a month... routine heart check revealed skipped beats..had ekg and now 24 hour monitor just turned in ... got a call from clinic advising that my doc advises appt with cardiologist to discuss results.  i have no pains, jog abt 15 mi/wk...for 20 or so yewrs off snd on....not overweight..58, 5'9'  155...  good health.  are such palps cause for concern?  have never had any issues. what might the appt be about ? typically i get this call at 5 on a friday when i cant get sny clarification from whomever read the resuls of test and must speculate for a weekend or longer about what it mghtve revealed...i really felt nothing eventful or stressful while wearing it and expected it would indcate nothing significant..... thanks for any thoughts..

mike

1 like, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi Mike, sounds familiar getting a call on a friday! Ive been in a similar position...ECG 10 days ago was normal but with atrial fibrillation my doc said, but she was unsure and consulted a cardiologist, a few days later she said its not atrial fibrillation, i had a normal sinus rythm, but it was 'something to do with the atria' and said she didnt understand!! Cardiologist advised 24 he loop monitor, booked in for 20th. She knows i suffer from anxiety and panic attacks and this has put me onto looping anxiety! Im trying to put this to one side while i focus on overcoming these anxiety attacks and keep telling myself that it is better to find a problem which can then be fixed or controlled by meds or a procedure. Doctor put me on betablockers to ease effects of adrenaline during panic attacks & lessen the palps, which has helped. Im hoping mine are all anxiety related and when i overcone that things will improve. You sound very fit and with no family cardio history, chances are it'll be something minor. Its a shame doctors dont have time to say stuff like that, would save a lot of anxiety! Are you waiting for an appointment date with cardio? Just think...it could be something or nothing, and even if its something, it can be corrected. Let me know how you get on.

• Posted

Thanks much, Julie.  I appreciate the info and likewise, this to me feels related to anxiety triggers... I am scheduled to meet w/ a cardiologist in 2 wks to 'go over' results of holter monitor- 24 hours....

Funny, i thought i'd almost "ace the test" cheesygrin as I tried to be super calm, avoided caffeine or exertion.... and only felt some very slight palps - like 8 times during the period ...and yes, concurring with miltitasking or other heightened level of adrenaline while working to get things done by deadlines..   Thats what made the call-back (with zero explanation) a bot unsettling...and i guess can try and least get a hint abt it from my dr. before the appt... "Presumably" if it were uber-serious, i would have been

told do do something sooner than meet in a couple wks.  Still, i will have to learn about all this stuff for the 1st time in my life as i have never had any encounter or experience with cardiac related matters.... Thanks again for your help and best of luck with your health care.  I hope all goes well for you!

Cheers,

Mike

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.