Arm so sore after basic blood test

Posted , 4 users are following.

I went for my weekly / sometimes 2 weekly INR blood test, done this for over 2 years, does not bother me if they hurt a bit at times, but this one today have given me a such sore arm.

Coz I google it and it say they can hit a nerve, but my arm is hurting 12 hours later when I try to straighten it and it feels like someone punched it hard.

Anyone else had this? Developing a nice size bruise as well.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hello

Some years ago I volunteered for a health survey of older people in Britain and part of it involved giving blood samples. The Phlebotomist was totally incompetent. (I later learned that they had been hired from an agency and were perhaps "trained" only for this survey). Anyway, he took several stabs at my elbow and, after the fourth failed attempt to obtain a sample, I refused to go further with the survey and withdrew my offer to volunteer for more tests.

Some hours later my whole arm began to ache, then my shoulder and after two or three days of this I went to my GP and asked for advice. I was told that he had probably hit a nerve and was referred to a consultant for a private steroid injection into my shoulder and that fixed the pain after a few days.

I sometimes wonder if this "botched" venesection where no blood was forthcoming was the first sign of my PV. But I shall never know.

Hope this helps a a bit.

• Posted

Thanks Angela, it does feel like she must have hit a nerve, still sore a day after.
  • Posted

out of Some nurses are brilliant and you hardly feel it and some not so good - where l have my phlebotomies l reckon 9 out of 10 are really good - don't worry your arm will be ok in no time !

• Posted

I have had "bad" experiences 3x over a period of 1 yr. and I finally reported it

to the head of the nursing dept.  I told them that I would only have a nurse

who had not hurt me in the pass and most patients know who they are.

I feel for you...I live in America...Take action..do not suffer unnecessarily

I don't know your background or insurance...but this is the best advice I have to offer.  Good luck!!

• Posted

Hi Orseblue,

I have been a regular blood doner before I have this PV.

some time the nurse who took my blood is not that competent, blood draw was slow, and my arm was sore after that blood drawn. But I have never experienced the soreness more more than a day. (if my arm sore,  I apply ice patch on my sore hand)....Richard Law

• Posted

It's better now, got a nice bruise to show, not looking forward to the next blood test.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.