Is yoga OK?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hello ladies. I'm just wondering if yoga is OK for people had prolapse surgery.

I'm 11 weeks post op. I want to do yoga. But I don't know which poses we should avoid for reprolapse. I wish I could join yoga class design for us.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Yoga is ok but you need to speak to the instructor and she should be able to tell you which poses are suitable. It's the same with Pilates, some instructors have training to allow them to make the correct decisions.

• Posted

Thank you for quick reply Matron.

So I need to ask the instructors if they are familiar with prolapse? Not all yoga instructor has idea?

It sounds bit risky...

• Posted

Apparently some yoga and Pilates instructors are trained to give advice following certain medical and surgical procedures. I only found this out recently after speaking to my GP and then to a Pilates instructor. I have osteoarthritis and my GP told me about some instructors in my area who were qualified to help me so when I looked into this further I was told some are trained to help ladies who have pelvic floor prolapse and those who have had surgery. I don't think you need to start looking for someone particularly if you're thinking of taking up Yoga because that is quite gentle however you asked the question so I presume you're cautious about it. My Pilates instructor is specially trained in helping me with specific exercises and tells me which ones I can and cannot do. My original instructor didn't have a clue!!

• Posted

Hi I went back to yoga four and a half weeks after my surgery with no problems, also Pilates. I had a full hysterectomy, removal of ovaries and cervix as well as rectole and cystocele repairs.i just did yoga and Pilates for about three months then went back to zumba and fitness dancing. 

• Posted

Angelmarks, wow!! Sounds you are very active. Very impressive!!

At 4 weeks, I was still in bed. lol

• Posted

Really? I'm just under five weeks post posterior repair and I'm struggling even just wandering around the house!!!!

• Posted

Don't worry donna I was exactly the same. It was around the 6 weeks I started to feel a bit more "human" but even then I was exhausted and still in pain.

• Posted

You might want to check out the Australian website pelvicfloorfirst.  They have a lot of information about what kinds of exercises to avoid to reduce the chance of having a prolapse again.  In general they have you avoid things that would cause a lot of interabdominal pressure, like a lot of ab exercises or a full Plank.

they also have a free ap with exercises that are supposed to be pelvic floor safe.  They have 3 difficulty levels and I found it really helpful to see some easier exercises that I could safely do.   I was still having sharp vaginal pain when I lifted a gallon of milk 2 months post op so I definitely couldn't do much in the way of exercise early on, I just walked and tried to increase my steps.   It took till about 14 weeks to feel pretty normal in everyday life, but I have a bad back so my normal wasn't very strenuous.

I did try a fairly easy yoga video for back pain and it seemed like all the exercises were OK as it was pretty gentle.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.