Fluctuating distance vision after RLE exchange

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi all.  Wondering if anyone else out there has experienced the following:  I had bilateral iol surgery about 18 months ago.  Was fitted with AT Lisa trifocal lenses.  Very pleased with results, perfect near vision (which was my ultimate goal) however, intermediate and distance vision is quite unpredictable.  Sometimes the distance vision is perfect and other times it is probably below driving standard.  I can have periods of almost a month with great distance vision and then it will go back again for no apparent reason.  Usually though, the fluctuations are throughout the course of a day, whereby it can be crystal clear for a few hours then returns to its sightly blurry state for most of the day.  Also I recently discovered that when my distance vision is blurry, if I put very slight pressure on the eyelid at the bottom right of my right eye (the dominant eye) the vision goes crystal clear again until I let go.  I do have slightly dry eyes and use Hycosan eye drops regularly but really don't think dry eye is the cause of these fluctuations in my distance vision, if it was then why does it never have an affect on my near vision and also how would applying slight pressure to the base of the eye be helping the dry eye problem?  I was thinking that there may be residual astigmatism in that eye that is being 'corrected' by applying pressure but if that was the case would the distance vision not be blurry all the time?  Or can astgmatism vary throughout the day.  Sorry for the long winded post.  

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hi Brizy

Your symptoms dont sound very good, I was wondering why your doctor or the consultant that did your eye op or even the sopician doesnt know what happening, surely they would know or have you asked and they dont know, if so this is really alarming.  Please let us know

Regards

Agnes

• Posted

Hi Ages

Thank you for your reply. I did mention it to my optician back in March and he thought that perhaps my brain just required longer to fully neuroadapt. This did make sense at the time as I was less than a year in. However the fact it hasn't improved and the recent discovery of being able to sort it by pressing on my eye, would suggest that isn't the case. I haven't been to see the surgeon who performed the op yet as he is some considerable distance from me. But perhaps I ought to bite the bullet and schedule an appointment with him.

Thank you for your concern x

• Posted

Hi Brizy, you dont need me to tell you how important your eyes are to you so get your appointment made nomatter how far it is, they are the ones who know whats wrong and hopefully how to fix it.

Please let use know how you get on

Regards

Agnes

• Posted

Hi agnes

Think you're right. Have been putting it off because l feel I'm being petty as my vision is infinitely better than it was preop. But yes, I think l will make an appointment..

Thanks

• Posted

That is a hard one to figure out. There is a possibility that the lens does not stay centered or has a tendency to tilt. May be, the haptic which holds the lens in place is damaged. These are just guesses. You should have your opthamologist check the lens in the eye thouroghly, give an explanation and offer a solution.
    • Posted

At201

Yeah that would make some sense and pressing the eye is moving the eyeball into the centre of the lense. May be worth mentioning to my optician.

Cheers

• Posted

Hi Brizy

You are the first person I have come across on this site who has had Lisa triocal lenses put in, so I had to respond and tell you of my experience with these same lenses.I too had these implanted almost three years ago. For the first year or so I was very unhappy most of the time, as the clarity of my vision seemed to fluctuate, especially watching television or going into a room with a different type of lighting such as fluorescent, when everything would appear hazy and indistinct.

As time went by I found that in the summer months when the light is much stronger I could see almost perfectly but less so in the winter. At night  when driving I often see halos and starbursts from certain headlights or streetlamps but have learned to adjust to these.

My eyes too often are dry, especially upon waking when I immediately put drops in.

But all in all I feel I have adjusted to this slightly different way of 'seeing' things and am no longer troubled by it. However next time I experience any blurriness I will try pressing gently on one corner to see if it makes any difference, as you have found.

I can't offer any explanation to the phenomenon you experience except that the clarity of my vision also fluctuates throughout the day but I now barely notice it.

Yours however sounds as though it is more disturbing so I think you need to find out the reason.

Best wishes and good luck

• Posted

Hi Fairle14

It's really nice to hear from someone who's had the same lenses. It's very reassuring that you got to grips with the symptoms over time. As I'm not as far in as you, you have given my hope that my symptoms will improve. I too get the halos at night but like you, this doesn't bother me. Apart from this pesky distance vision issue I'm delighted with the lenses. Did you ever find that your distance vision was improved after a sleep? Even a half hour nap?

Thank you for taking the time to post.

• Posted

Hi again

I can't say I have found that, but I don't usually nap during the day(!)

Mornings are Ok on the whole once I have put drops in to counteract the dryness.

I's a bit of a lonely world when you have a problem, and I did find that the doctor who inserted the lenses and his cohorts seemed to lose interest and want to offload me once I started to complain. They had my money after all.........

I do hope you manage to get an answer and would be very interested to hear your findings, should you manage to find out. At first I did regret my decision to have replacement lenses, as I did it to be rid of constantlyputting glasses on and off rather than because of cataracts, but I have to say that now I never need glasses, except when reading in bed with a dim light. So now I definitely wouldn't go back to my old vision!

By the way, are you in the UK?

best wishes

• Posted

Hi Fairlie

I live in Scotland but had the treatment in London. Like you l had the procedure to be glasses free not as a result of cataract removal as l am 'only' 48. Also like you I no longer need glasses which is amazing. I'm probably being over critical about my vision but, you know, if the problem can be fixed I would do it. Unlike you, I do have the occasional afternoon nap! Just to see if it helps my eyes you understand smile Have you managed to find the ideal drops for your dry eyes yet? Don't know about you but I have been through a miriad of different products in the search for the ideal one!

Kind regards

Brizy

• Posted

Yes I've tried many sorts and am currently using Hycosan. They all do the trick at first but the effect doesn't seem to last very long. Apparently as one gets older ones eyes don't produce so much of the oily type of lubricant, just the watery one. But dry eyes can also feel worse in dry weather. My eyes don't seem to need drops so much these days as at first.

Oh well, on we go! At least there are things we can take or do that help a bit.

Bye for now

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.