Fibromyalgia and gabapentin

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi all,

I have fibro and ME, GP has told me to wean off gabapentin due to some side effects, gained 3 stones. The pain has been horrendous more since weaning. Does anybody know of any alternatives?

X

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi Mandy, someone suggested improving B complex?  I was on gabapentin, but it did nothing for me so GP has since put me on pregabalin I think also known as lyrica.  I'm trying to lose weight but have had the munchies mind you that might be due to coming up to my monthly cyle I hope.  My pharmacist was concerned about me taking all these meds that he suggested a ginger concoction.  Grate a piece of ginger the size of your finger from your knuckle to the middle joint into a glass of water.  Give the mixture a good whisk to really work that ginger, put it through a sieve or strainer and drink.  He suggested to do this every couple of days, and hopefully you'll notice some pain relief.  I tried it, but I have to admit I really struggled to drink it, but I think I'm going to start it up again it's got to be better than all the pain.  Let me know how you get on.

• Posted

I haven't found any successful pain relief as yet and that's 5 years of trying anything and everything, at one point I was on morphine patches however the side effects were dreadful, then when I decided to wean myself off, just for my sanity, that was the worst withdrawals I have ever been through. I feel dubious and anxious about anything suggested for pain relief, I've been on a pain management course and learned nothing except that fibromyalgia is a very difficult illness to understand and to manage 🤓

• Posted

Although mine is a fairly new diagnosis, I'm already starting to get that feeling of the difficulty in understanding the condition.  

• Posted

Yes, definitely, that's what really gets too me, the doctors tell you that you've got this illness but don't really seem to know much more than that. What I know I've found out by myself. It's ridiculous 

• Posted

Hi Mandy; can you tell me/us "what were your side effects from Gabapentin"?  I do understand that there are side effects to most medications; however, for me, once I have got myself adjusted to these, then I decide is the benefit from the medication better / worse than the pain?  To me, without my Gabapentin, I know that the pain in my loin area (nerves being the real issue here), is Unbearable.  I have trialled most other natural therapies for this pain, but nothing takes it away.  I know that I Need to be able to Do some things during the day (as it is I am going mad, trying to pass the days, without being able to go to work/outside the house very much)...so for me, I take my 400mgms of Gabapentin "when the Pain Hits".  Perhaps if you were to try taking a tablet every other day or so, you may get some benefit from it, but not all of the side effects ???                                      Do feel for those who have issues with taking medications, as Yes, this life is very hard to live with, (every day for ever and a day, with NO end in sight).                                      Bronredface

• Posted

I had a lot of side effects for a few meds. I had light sensitivity, jitters, stomach pains etc. Ginger, mint, applecider vinegar, and bone broth helped with stomach issues. Detoxed my liver with lemonwater, cucumber water and 5htp. Use epsom salt and baking soda baths, magnesium, ibuprofen and salonpas with lidocaine for pain. Vitamin b for energy. Vitamin d and Sam e for mood and anxiety. Physio , chiropractic therapy and accupuncture helped with the pain too.
  • Posted

Hi Mandy,

Gabapentin didn't do anything for me either by lyrica had really helped me, good luck xxx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.