Which Contraceptive Pill for Fibroids

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi,

I have just been diagnosed with Fibroids. I am 36 and my periods have always been exceptionally regular 7 months I ago a started taking Microgynon and my Consultant initially assumed that it was the pill that has been causing my symptons. My symptoms started 3 months ago when in the middle of my pill packet I had unexpected light bleeding for a few days. This was completelty out of sync. After a few days the bleeding became exceptionally heavy, like nothing I had ever seen before, I was literally flooded, changing every hour, and had extremely large jelly like clots coming out. This completely freaked me out. I made an emergecy appointment and was told it was probably my hormones and prescribed noresthisterone - this caused me relief after 1-2 days.

The next two months were fine, and then a few days ago exactly the same thing happened. I had light bleeding/spotting for 8-9 days (this started literally 6 days after I finished my period) and then after 9 days of light spotting I had the samew symptoms of flooded bleedingh and large jelly like clots. In the same week i went for a scan and my fibroids were diagnosed.

I'd like to know which contraceptive pill ladies who have fibroids have had the most relief in their symptoms (especially like my symptoms) with.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

I was on the pill for nearly 40 years.  It was a wonder drug to me and never had any problems apart from when they tried me on a progesterone only pill.  Towards the end as I was over the age at which the pill was recommend a consultant put me on the low dose pill femodette.  I was fine on this.  At age 55 a gp stopped the pill, and that was that.  Within 3 months I went into total withdrawal and needed to start on hrt.  I've had 2 years constant bleeding on the hrt, so underwent various investigations.  I have fibroids.  Had one removed.  Still bleeding.  They asked me to stop the hrt and I did for 2 days but the bleeding become more intense and I felt lousy.  So I started taking it in the evening instead of the morning.  fingers crossed but I haven't had any bleeding for past 10 days and wonder if  the answer could be this simple, just taking it at a different time of the day.  I always tool the pill late evening. There is an understanding that the pill 'feeds the fibroids' and that was another reason the GP took me off the pill. 

• Posted

My doc just put me on progesterone pill only because after my UFE sent me straight to menopause 😡 Anyway norhing I can do about it. Well my estrogen and progesterone is low . So I was wondering did they help you and was it in a form of birth control? For some reason my doctor I have reagular capusules which cost $78

• Posted

I once tried progesterone only pill which didn't agree with me at all.   Why did your ufe send you straight to menopause?  Do you still have ovaries?  I would have thought you would also need estrogen if in menopause,  but hopefully what your doc has px will help you feel better.  Best wishes.

• Posted

I think she did that because she had me try estrace cream a pea size amount and my blood pressure shot up to 148/110 . So she didn't want to give me a estrogen pill. Next week she also wants me to take 1mg of testerone 👀 Yes I still have my ovaries but I had my hormones check in June and test were great)still able to have babies) in dec my leveles went down now that I can't and I have menopause system (hot flashes and vaginal dryness ) . I wish I hadn't had the surgery now.

• Posted

sorry to hear that Pam, hope it all works out for you.  After 2 years of bleeding most every day, I haven't had any bleeding for past 2 weeks now.  Fingers crossed but taking the hrt in the evening seems to have made all the difference.  Had a fibroid removed last July, so maybe it has taken this long for some effect, who knows.

• Posted

Hi, I'm 41 I was diagnosed with fibroids last year as of now I'm not on any oral pill, as my consultant has suggested the coil, I had a biopsy taken last week and I'm due for a camera to look around my womb next month, but the only things I've been offered to help with things is the coil, which they said they will put in when I've had the all clear from my tests x they say it's the best thing they use for painful and heavy periods 

• Posted

Your symptoms sound identical to mine.  I was on loestrin, a low estrogin pill, when I first experienced bleeding in the middle of my pill pack.  I switched to a higher estrogen pill called Sprintek which worked for a while and then did not.  I had an IUD inserted, again worked for a while and then my body expelled it.  Tried it again, same thing.  Usually one of these methods work- my body just wasn't having it for some reason so I had to have surgery.  But in sum, I would recommend a higher estrogen pil or the IUD.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.