Returning to work after pneumothorax chest tube

Posted , 3 users are following.

I am 46 year old female. On 11 dec i rolled my quad and tore my lung. It was only diagnosed on 06 jan and by then 100 percennt collapsed. I had a chest tube inserted that night and a suction pump. This was in for 4 days. Day after it was taken out - tues 10 jan i was discharged from.hospital. 2 days ago i got horrific pains and swellingbover ribs. Infection diagnosed this morning. I was supposed to start my new job 9 jan. They agreed to wait till 16 jan. I an nowhere near readyy for work. Can anyone else tell me how long they were off work?

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi deedee. I'm 28, tall slim and had it happened to me after getting off a long haul flight and cycling to work. Mine collapsed in June. I had the chest drain and tube, was in hospital for a week. When released I felt something was not quite right and it had in fact collapsed again. I still get a weird pulling sensation and sharp pains. I found it really hard to tell if it had collapsed or of these pains were normal. I was actually off work for 4 and a half months as I was not coping, having pains, and struggling to return to normal things... like lifting a kettle etc. However it's hard to say. Some people spring back fairly quickly like it's no issue. One thing though... I think ghost pains, aches and uncertainty are common ongoing. I think I should have gone back to work earlier.

• Posted

I am a bit older than you and just had a VATS for fungal ball in lung.  THen after MANY days in the hospital with pneumothrax and air blowing throughout my subcutaneious tissue, I went back for a pleurodeisis, doxycycline wash.  Finally got home after 18 days and the got an INFECTION.  Boy, was I sick.  High fever and malaise and coughing up clear copious mucus.  I am still kinda sick and its been 2 weeks.  The xray showed a "haziness" over the effected lung and I was put on antibiotics.  

So work.  As an anesthetist, I move a lot, so I plan to be off for 3 months.  I cannot move patients, etc.  Also, I must say my mind is still mucky from all this.  I know I am late in writing, but just wanted you to know my travails!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.