Referred for upper endoscopy in Scotland...

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi all,

New to the group. A little background, I have been taking Omeprazole for nearly 10 years for recurrent heartburn and reflux symptoms but have never been tested. I went to

the gp about 2 months ago as I didn't think the Omeprazole was working as well and she changed me to ranitidine 150mg twice a day plus peptac as needed - after 3 weeks off Omeprazole we did an h pylori test which came back negative. She then suggested I go for an endoscopy. So that was a month ago . I am still taking ranitidine daily but less peptac. It might be settling. My question is how long will I have to wait for the test. I live in Scotland.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

It will depend on the health board and their current waiting list. I was referred in Lothian Oct 2014 and didn't get mine until Sept 2015! You can phone the department and ask what their waiting times are so you can have a rough idea of the timescale.

I really hope you don't have to wait too long!

• Posted

That is an insane time to wait. My GP said 6 months which I actually though was ages.
    • Posted

I know, I was pretty disappointed with the wait. I seem to remember the gp telling me it was 8 months and then I was offered to go to Fife for it. I think they're was an issue in Lothian. Hopefully it won't be anywhere near that for you.

• Posted

Fingers crossed. I would travel for it if it meant an earlier appointment. Maybe I will call and check. Just have to figure out which hospital 😏.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.