Bunion and hammertoe surgery

Posted , 6 users are following.

I had hammertoe and bunion surgery 3 weeks ago. Pins removed from my toes at 2 weeks. My 2nd toe is still numb completely. My toes are swollen though my foot is fine. I'm hoping my toe regains feeling. Has anyone went through this?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Christinah

I only had bunion surgery not hammer toe I am almost 6weeks post op and yes it takes time to regain feeling In your big toe I still haven't gained full feeling but everyday I can move my toe more and more. For the first 4 weeks post op I did not walk at all most of the time my feet were elevated and I used a wheelchair to get around. I nolonger have much swelling I can fit into all my shoes although I cannot wear them as yet.

I wish I could be as lucky as you guys to have had a successful operation. :-|

Best of luck to you and hope you have a speedy recovery

• Posted

Hi I still have my pin on my second toe and I am on week 5!!! My big toe is more mobile but the second one is very lazy and wonky!!

My physiology said it takes time!!!

• Posted

I had the same op. 6 weeks ago tomorrow,, had pin out 3 says ago with final dressings removed at that time. All seems okay but v.swollen! Did venture out today in a pair of fitflop clogs and seemed okay but quire tired now. Feet now elevated and wondering how long it will be before I can drive car (not automatic). Good luck everyone.

)

• Posted

Hi Christina - I'm now 14 weeks post op having bunion and hammertoe operated on and still have discomfort and swelling.  I have been told the X-ray showed I have a stress fracture and have to go for a CT scan this week.  I am praying that there will be no problem...has anyone else had similar problems everyone talks of swelling but not pain....

jane

• Posted

I had bunion surgery and pin in 2nd toe almost 5 weeks ago now.   Stiches were taken out last week but that area is still very tender and sensitive - almost like a burning sensation majority of time.   I get the pin out in a couple days - my pain levels are still averaging around an 8 - especially if Ive been moving around, then lay back down.   It takes a couple hours for my foot to finally "settle" so I can get some Benadryl induced sleep.   My Dr had me wean off of the Percocet which I really was only taking at night to keep the edge off - I don't like taking during the day because of some nauseousness and I don't want to be dependent on it.    But my big toe feels like it's in a burning vice most of the time, and if I'm on my feel for even a few minutes, it feels like my foot is swelling to 5 times its size.  Sadly, I'm going to ask doc for refill of Perc just so I can feeeel like there is Some kind of healing going on!    I did have a lot of swelling still 3 weeks post surgery as well as purple color, so he gave me antibiotics which reduced that in just a couple days.      I did NOT expect so much pain for so long - in fact I generally have a high tolerance for pain, but not with this.    It's quite depressing really.      I'm glad to see Im not alone though - even though I do see that everyone's experience is quite different than another's.    I will need to get my right foot done at some point ...I just can't fathom putting myself (and loving hubby) thru this again though!!!    

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.