Abnormal Liver Function and low folic acid levels

Posted , 4 users are following.

3 years ago I presented with abnormal LFTs I was really poorly but had all scans, bloodsand MRI but nothing after 9 months all returned to normal so doctor said maybe a virus attacking my liver. Well started with the fatigue again so beginning of December had a blood test they were raised again so gp said retest in January also have my folic acid levels checked as they were lower than they should be. So on Monday went and had them redone and my liver function abnormal still but also my folic acid levels dropped more so gp called me in and said was referring me for a scan like last time so I assumed it would be a few weeks but got a call the same day saying to go this monday so now I am worrying because it seems quick. The only difference this time is the folic acid levels. Would the doctor not have mentioned if they were referring me as an emergency? I am a 33 year old female and drink about 6 times a year xx

1 like, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Hi Sarah, may I ask youreally liver function levels and folic levels. Also do you have pain?
    • Posted

Yes a little but nothing major its like a stinging pain that comes and goes its mainly central occasionally more to the right
    • Posted

My GGT is 118 also others are raised but can't remember the names of them Folic Acid 2.2

• Posted

For someone who doesn't drink, your GGT is high. No your doctor wouldn't tell you it was an emergency, they don't like to panic people, especially when they aren't actually sure of the problem.

It may be that he just asked for it to be done sooner rather than later and the hospital had a spare slot. Is it another MRI or an ultrasound that you are having?

• Posted

An ultrasound I was thinking I may just have been lucky it is being done in a medical centre as they have mobile scanners so maybe this is why also. It was high a few years ago but they never found out what it was just said probably a virus attacking my liver. I worry about everything as I have anxiety (GAD) so don't have a logical mind the best of time. I know it is really high for a non drinker doctor advised maybe not drinking at all ever because of my liver. It just normalised last time as they were about to refer me for a biopsy so there was no point in them doing it. Thankyou again for your reply 😀

• Posted

I have been doing alot of googling and the company doing the scan is TICCS and read that they contact within 5 working days then scan within 10 working days so I am not worrying now I think like I said its just quicker because its done in a doctor surgery
    • Posted

Hi Sarah don't do too much of the googling. It worris you for no reason. GP just like to take precautions. I asked one of my dr friend about GP referrals, he said 99% of time their concerns end with nothing. I have been there, with urgent appointments, and luckily all had been normal.

• Posted

Ahh thank you and yes always worse case scenarios on the internet isn't it. Thanks for putting my mind at rest 😀

• Posted

Well, I take it, it is today for the scan. Let me know what you think of TICCS.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.