SO SCARY

Posted , 4 users are following.

As i have said this week have been a bit breathless but then today went out to go to work and all of a sudden went weak and gasping for breath thought my chest was going to burst I stood still for a while till it calmed down no inhaler would have helped me. I turned to go back towards my house and after a few steps yet again it started i was terrified gasping like mad and was dark and noone near so stood there a while again it stopped a bit so i walked another bit when i did get back in i sat on the floor gasping till i cd walk again after wee bit was fine i am so scared to go out now im ok inside so What is it that causes that to happen

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi how awful for you and I do emphasise with you.  Is it possible you have an undiagnosed chest infection?   Sometimes they are not obvious and I remember having one where I felt fine in the morning,  then went to the park with my sister dog walking and felt awful.  I couldn't get my breath and could barely walk.

I went straign up to the doctors (keeping stopping on the way)  gasping for breath.  The doctor said a severe chest infection and start ab's and steroids.  She also said no going out in the cold for a couple of days. 

If you have got a rescue pack I would start it just to be on the safe side.  If notget an urgent appointment with your doctor.  x

• Posted

yes i think that was it really as leading up to it was bad but then that was so sudden and have not had it as bad. As it was on a Saturday yes i did not wait till i saw doctor i do have rescue packs so thank god for that, before i would be worried to take it as she always said phone me first but now after last year the wait i had until i got my x rays bk which said i did have a severe chest infection my oxygen level had fell to 37% so i will never wait again when i feel bad. I saw her today Monday and got another inhaler with a spacer as she thinks its not getting into my lungs will give it a go, but then told her its no right i am getting flare ups every month or two in last year and its a worry so if this doesnt work she will send me to hospital to get it checked. Just want a break its constant and does depress you
  • Posted

Margaret I have just been diagnosed with COPD and really have know idea what causes the shortnest of breath and the different stages of it. I'm in tommorrow for stress test physical etc with primary doctor and have a appointment with Pulmonology doctor on the 25th of this month, I believe anxiety has a lot to do with it, and relaxing and taking anxiety meds help out a lot, I also suffer migraine headaches now and then so I have some old meds left over don't like taking them but I also like to breathe, to be honest I'm really ready to see what stage I'm in and what my best days are going to be like. I went back to work last week in limited capacity but felt better doing something. This is all new to me and I'm just taking one day at a time.

• Posted

Hi John the damage to your lungs is what causes the breathlessness.  Copd includes emphysema and chronic bronchitis.  Most people have primarily one with a bit of the other.

In emphysema it is the air sacs (the aveoli) at the bottom of your lungs which are the problem.  The aveloli exhange gasses and when they are damaged so your oxygen level is too.

Chronic bronchitis is damage to the top of your lungs.  The same problem though - you are more breathless.

There are generally accepted 4/5 levels.  Mild,  moderate, severe and very severe.  Sometimes medics include end stage as well,  though this term is not used as much now and you can still a long time in this stage.    Many people don't want to know what stage they are at and I respect this.  I do want to know!   I am on the borderline between mild/moderate and while I don't suffer extreme bouts of breathlessness,  I do find it difficult to walk for too long and especially up hills and steps. 

If you are in the UK have a look at the NHS site and British Lung Foundation which will give you lots of info as this site does too.  x

• Posted

Oh I meant to say as well that whatever stage you are at you can learn with the right meds and support to stay as active as possible.  A lot more people die WITH copd than die because of it.   x

• Posted

Yes it makes you wonder about everything i go over and over Why so much now and not before and now i when something like this happens i do get Anxiety going out the door again just no knowing if i will get where im going or if i will manage a small brae So safe at home but need to get out drives me crazy if at home all day
  • Posted

Hang in there margaret, I thought I was on by death bed 2 weeks ago and went to doctor today, blood pressure 145 over 65 from 185 over 75 the week before, oxygen was 82% last week and now 98% this week. Still have shortnest of breathe but not as severe and hope it gets better. Eating better, doing breath exercises daily and was perscribed SPRIVA today will see how that works tommorrow. See Pulmonlogy Specialst the 25th and he might change everthing who knows in the short term I'm trying to get as much knowledge and various treatment options out there and find what works for me.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.