Worried about my mum

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi there my mum is 66 losing weight very quickly she's was diagnosed with barretts bout 5 years so roughly she has hiatus hernia and ulcers she eating but food sticking a lot choking on food coughing as if food sticking house throat a lot everyone noticing bout her weigh she's now 6stone 4 due back to het another endoscopy March roughly her last endoscopy 2 years ago showed small islands of squamous mucosa T=7cm lots of islands 29cm -34cm anyone help

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Is she taking her PPIs? At what does is she on? How often is she taking them... 

• Posted

I doubt that she has cancer, you'll have to wait for the endoscopy to see how it goes, She should be taking her PPIs and arrange her diet and ofcourse wait for the endoscopy I don't see anything else possible here. 

• Posted

She went to Dr with support said cancer was through blood now nothing not heard anything she was 7 stone at Xmas
  • Posted

Sorry to hear of your mum's plight. She needs to see the doctor again.

All of us with BArrett's probably have a hiatus hernia. It's what permitted the reflux originally that caused her Barrett's. And excess acid will have caused the ulceration which should heal if she's on PPI medication (eg omeprazole) .

But the food sticking (dysphagia) may need to be discussed. It's probably due to constrictions from oesophagitis or scar tissue but may need dilation. There is a very slight chance it could be a tumour (but unlikely) which is why it needs investigating. I'm guessing she's coming up for her next surveillance endoscope soon anyway. I suspect the correct classification for her Barrett's based on your information is actually c5m7. That's quite large for which the guidelines say 2 - 3 yearly surveillance.

• Posted

If she has difficulty swallowing tablets, you can open the capsules and mix the granules with something like apple sauce. Alternatively the doctor can prescribe soluble omeprazole.
    • Posted

She has scar or gullet was originally going to see dr for coeliac had since birth her weight dropped dramatically even eating has ulcers hiatus hernia Barrera and juidinal ulcers
    • Posted

The ulcers should heal with acid reduction. The hiatus hernia is responsible for the reflux and the Barrett's is a consequence of the reflux.

Try opening the capsules and mixing with apple sauce as suggested, or ask for soluble PPIs.

If she cannot eat properly, ask if he can prescribe some Fortis protein drinks (milk shake type food replacement) to increase her energy.

• Posted

Nervous bout dr appointment cos of weight loss but hopeful things will be ok everyone houseing carers are noticing she's struggling with food eats but choking on everything now 6.2 and worrying everyone thanks for advice

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.