L1 Compression fracture after fall. Normal to still have pain 5months on?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi everyone,

Had a fall almost 5mnths ago, landed on my bum and resulted in an L1 compression fracture. I was advised by neurosurgeon to have Vertebroplasty op, which i did go for but on day of the op i was left waiting 9hrs in pre-op ward, obviously nil by mouth so no drink. Started with migraine probably due to being bit dehydrated, and by the time i was called through and got on trolley began vomiting. So anaesthetist refused to operate as too risky. So didnt end up having any surgery.

Didnt have a back brace either so was just classed as conservative healing, pain killers and rest etc. Had almost 4 mnth off work.

Just wondered if anybody else still has a lot of pain almost 5mnths after? Although most of the pain is at the L1 site, i do get constant pain in 1 hip, to the extent that i have to actualy lift 1 leg by hand getting into car now.

Did have an MRI a few wks ago and all i was told was that theres still a lot of inflammation around fracture site and that according to the results my pain should still be 10/10 and am still on physio waiting list.

I have lost faith in the hospital ive been attending for a few reasons which i wont go into.

Did go back to work over Xmas only part time, and managed just 2wks. Half way through my last shift the pain from bending was unbearable and next day couldnt straighten up it was that bad. So i,m back on the sick again. .i,m only 50 and always been fairly fit and healthy, its really getting me down worrying if ile ever feel like i did before the accident, also the thought of losing a job that i like.

Has anybody experienced similar, or know how long it should be before you can really get back to normal?

Thanks

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

A number of years ago, my daughter slipped during squat exercises with a lot of weight falling on her shoulders.  Spotter missed the bar.  Compression fracture of L1.  Lots of pain, body brace for a few months.  Opioids...but the pain never left.

Two years, lots of docs and tests.  Nothing...because the docs never took a picture below her hips.  Took her to Mt. Sinai in NYC...spine capital of the world.  Doc did an MRI of her lower spine...finally found the answer.  She suffered a complete fracture of her coccyx.  Turns out that a lot of people have this problem and it is rarely diagnosed.

Ask for the MRI...

• Posted

Hi Chico Marx,

Thanks for your reply and advice, although i initially had the recent MRI because of the pain i,m still experiencing and especially in the hip area, and they did say that this scan covered the whole spine. Hopefully this would have included the coccyx. I should double check this with them.

Treatment has been a bit shoddy since day 1 really from A&E dept, my own GP and then the hospital who do specialize in spinal issues. I was rang the day after the MRI and asked to come in the next day as a matter of urgency to see the N.Surgeon re the results. On arrival after a long journey, and after waiting so long after appointment time, i had to go and find the physio, who (for the 2nd time) didnt know i was there. She was going for her lunch, pulled me into a side room, had no notes. She actually pulled a tissue from a box and began writing notes on it! Told me the N.Surgeon wasnt there but he,d had a "quick look" at my results and wants to re-offer the vertebroplasty.

To be honest at that point i declined the 2nd offer of the op, was fed up with the way had been treated, also was initially led to believe by N.Surgeon that the op wasnt effective after a month or so had passed after the accident. I just left it there and came home a bit dissilussioned. Decided mind over matter would be the way forward and return to normal life again, but its not working out.

Think you're right, and a second opinion is whats needed. I feel for your daughter having continuous pain for 2 years, god the thought of it. Glad she finally found the cause of it and hope she's ok now.

• Posted

"Hopefully this would have included the coccyx."  Not usual for them to scan that low.  I would get an MRI of that area specifically...S1 through coccyx.  This is NOT mind over matter...period.  This is exactly happened to Kate.  Pain for years until one spine doc looked lower.  In her 25 years of practice, doc had only done 5 coccyx ops...actually, the most experienced neurosurgeon at that in all of Mt. Sinai.  Rarely investigated, rarely diagnosed, rarely corrected.  When we saw the MRI, the coccyx had been literally shattered into many tiny fragments.  See someone who is open to the possibility and not blow you off...PLUS who has done the op before.  Not easy, very painful but the long term result is the actual fix that was needed...else, lifetime pain and drugs.

Over the years, Kate has resumed 95% of her activity...doc estimated 70%.  But then again, Kate is a graduate nutritionist plus an ACSM and ACE (15 specialties) certified trainer.  She takes this VERY seriously.  In  her current state, she blows away P90X.  Woman does not quit...doesn't not take no for an answer.  You can accomplish a lot with the will to do it.  Oh, by the way, in the middle of this, she had a child and beat breast cancer.   Wonder Woman, Super Girl and Natashia Romanov all rolled into one...plus a GREAT blues singer.

• Posted

Chico Marx,

Wow, your daughter certainly has been through a lot, and you must be immensely proud of her.

I do realise from experience that you often have to be very determined and push for what you think is right. The thing is, having had family previously looked after really well by the health system here in the UK and then having to use it myself, you feel that grateful for the NHS that you often feel hard pushed to complain. But that said, obviously nothings more important than your health, and i am going to have to push for more tests.

• Posted

One test: MRI of sacrum and coccyx.  When you scan the axial view (looking straight down the spine), you will see the coccyx start to bed anteriorilly (forwards) like normal as you go lower in the scan.  If there's no problem, it will end in a point.  If there's a problem (like Kate's), you will see shards and fragments scattered around.  This is sooooo easy to diagnose but you need the correct MRI and someone who knows what they're looking for.  

The operation is very delicate and not many neurosurgeons are familiar with it.  The coccyx lies right along the intestines.  Doc's gotta lift it and operate or else risk intestinal puncture and sepsis.  Yeah...dangerous.  Unfortunately, it's the only cure.  Took her a few months to get better...this is not an easy surgery or recovery.  Then at least a year of exercizing...she knew what to do for that...as your back, hips and core are all affected.  Put in the work...get the reward.

I hope this isn't it for you but at least now you know what you need to do and what to expect if this is truly your situation.  Again...lots of docs blow this off because they don't see it often.  I'd have the MRI immediately and demand to see the axial view of the coccyx.

• Posted

Thanks very much for the detail in that advice. Will bear that in mind when making my request for a further test
  • Posted

Ask for yr doctor to refer you to a private hospital via the nhs . Your right to do so. Private hospital are now taking on work from the nhs . May be an op is the only way forward.
    • Posted

Hi Jessica,

Yes the thought of finally having the op has been going through my mind, was just a bit reluctant after the failed 1st attempt at it, and given the initial info i received regarding the pros and cons of it especially at this stage. But perhaps it could be a way forward.

Asking to be referred private is something i hadnt thought of though, so thanks for that, its worth a go.

• Posted

I've suffered since I was 15 now 40 the last 10 yr a have just got worse and worse sometimes doing nothing can cause damage to nerves ect . Is debilitating mentally and physically especially when no invasive treatment s give much relief.

• Posted

Jessica,

Living with continuous pain for that many years must be terrible. Are you still having treatment, or down for anymore surgery? What spinal condition are you suffering with?

• Posted

I have degenerative disc diease, stenosis, inflammatory joint diease and hyper mobility do all my symptoms over lap each other l4/l5/s1 have completely dried out my siatic nerve is been compressed and my facist joint on left side lumber show sings of erosion. I've already had a emergency discectomy l4/l5 3 year ago. Due to both disc bursting and compression on my spinal cord. I've always kept fit until that point so my core was very strong. It did not prevent this. We believe it's hereditary. I need put down 😂

• Posted

Spinal fusion is on the card s with in the next 6 month. Am terrified to say the least and nothing s a guarantee, but u can't not try. I've tried many other none invasive treatment s . But to no avail.

• Posted

Aw bless you, such a lot to cope with. Blimey makes me feel a bit humble in comparison. Can totally understand your fear of the surgery but you must be desperate for some kind of relief, and as you said, you have to give it a go. . Wish you lots of luck with it and glad you're still smiling ?

• Posted

Jess...  Yes...it can seem that way but as with any GA procedure, you go to sleep...you wake up.  My fusion was L3 through S1. Docs like to do three max; mine was four else I would have had a wobbly L3 sitting on top of a structural steel base.  My case was also more unusual as I developed fluid in my sacrum so "the boys" had to go in again to clean up that industial-grade mess.

However, with back brace firmly in place, I walked out, absolutely crushed the PT in a month (I tend to do that in rehab...this time I was doing 230-pound leg presses and they threw me out) and tossed the brace a bit later.  Before the op, I asked the doc: "What won't I be able to do after the fusion?"  He replied: "Won't be able to touch your toes."  To which I responded: "Hell...At 68, I can't touch them now!  Cut me open!!!"  

After it's done, you'll barely know it's there...except at an airport.  Bells, whistles, strip search...you get the idea.  Just think...you'll feel sooooo much better after the fusion.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.