Mid urethral sling and full pelvic floor reconstruction

Posted , 11 users are following.

Hi all I'm almost 37 and been incontinent during coughing sneezing exercise moving clients or furniture etc for 2 years now. I have a cystocele and been recommended to have front and rear wall repair. Two surgeons say just do front wall i can have rear wall at a later date as it can make things too tight. Due surgery in next few weeks. Can't wait to have my life back. Any advice for me on length of hospital stay recovery going back to work etc my surgien said two weeks but he will sign me off for fiur

1 like, 25 replies

25 Replies

Next
  • Posted

No way 2 weeks or even 4,this is major surgery and you will need to rest and recuperate for longer than that. Took me over 3 months to even get back to feeling I could do all the things that I did before. Good luck with the surgery x
  • Posted

Hi hun,I'm afraid you will find that 4weeks is way to soon after this surgery. I had anterior repair and was off for 8weeks.

Matron will advise yuou better but through experience you can do anything but rest fgoir first 2 wks then gradually light walking and duties thast don't causr any lifting or bending. Id say at least 8wks off..your body doesn't start to make scar tissue till around 3months. I am waiting to have it redone and I diud nothing for 6wks.good luckx

• Posted

I had a cystocele and rectocele repair over 6 years ago and it's the best thing I ever did to be honest. I do struggle to understand why consultants say doing both together could make women "too tight" because in my experience (professionally and personally) it isn't the case. Are they urogynaecologists that you've seen? It used to be something Gynaecologists would say about 15 years ago but not usual for urogynaecologists to be so cautious. Prolapse surgery is classed as major surgery and going through 2 lots of post op pain and discomfort is unnecessary really. There's also the anaesthetic to consider as well. If you read the Useful Resources on the Genitourinary home page it should give you all the information you want regarding post op care and timescales. The South Tees Information is particularly useful however returning to work after 2-4 weeks is ridiculous and almost impossible because you'll still be requiring pain relief then and you shouldn't drive until you're at least 6 weeks post op.

• Posted

Thankyou I am 99% it's a urogynae I'm from the uk but now in Australia so maybe that's why it's different. I would prefer to have both repaired but I'm scared now 😕 And I got other opinions from my own gp who is from the uk and my boss who is a nurse. They are only saying to repair one at a time incase intercourse is painful it Defo needs repaired but isn't too bad so it could wait they reckon

• Posted

I only had rectocele repair done and struggled for ages post op with resuming a sex life. Although it finally did get better and we got there ,so don't despair

• Posted

Can I also add I have a clitoral piercing anyone any experience with this. It will prob close over if it's out a day or more 😓

• Posted

How do I find this page please I'm struggling sorry

• Posted

Above Unfollow this page (in red) it says Genitourinary Prolapse, just click on that and it takes you to the home page.
    • Posted

Hi Geraldine, my urogynacologist frtom wales wontbdo both either in case the vagina isdisd too tight.I have every bit of faith in him.x
  • Posted

Hi there,

I had front wall repair & bladder sling 2 years ago for incontinence and prolapse. The incontinence has been cured 100% no probs at all now though flow is different which is absolutely fine. Pelvic floor repair failed after 8 months and I'm dealing with another prolapse now. I still see my gynaecology consultant every 6 months but we are both of the opinion that another repair isn't the answer and we will leave things as they are until it's something that I can no longer deal with. A lot of these surgeries do fail unfortunately even if you do all the things you are supppsed to. It is major surgery and a long recovery period. I went back to work part time after 6 weeks and that was way too soon. Good luck xx

• Posted

Sorry to hear it's not worked for you, I want to be very careful x

• Posted

Hi Debi, like you my anterior failed after a couple of weeks.I did nothing for ,4weeks and I mean nothing, my hubby is wonderful and did everything for me. I asm now under a new urogynacologist and I'm on the list.I pray to God it works this time. I hgave every faith in him completely. I feel disgusting in my vsgina r a day at work.its not fair😢.hugsxx

• Posted

seven weeks post op from a recocele, enterocele and a stitch to hold vaginal vault up and there is absolutely no way that I could be working. The recovery of most of the women on here has been much longer than the surgeons led us to believe and we need lots of rest

• Posted

Hi there

I had 12 weeks off. Probably could have gone back a little bit sooner but not at 4 weeks.

Absolute minimum recommended by my surgeon was 6 weeks if I was self employed or really needed to be at work. But everyone is different and depending on your job you may be able to manage something sooner. Good luck

• Posted

Was your repair just a normal anterior repair with stitches? Has it been a success and how long ago was it ? 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.